1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster breaking eggs.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cherosc, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Cherosc

Cherosc New Egg

Mar 21, 2016
    Central Florida
    I have a rooster that keeps breaking eggs. I need this rooster because I am incubating the eggs but it has gotten to the point that I have to separate him. So my question is, how often should I put him back with this hen to ensure the best fertility in the eggs? If I could I would just get another rooster, but I can't find any around me and this is the only one I have.

Thanks,
    Kim

2. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    I would put him in every 3-5 days but is there a way u could just keep him out of the nesting box is he eating them or just breaking them

3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Once a week is enough. Put him in in the late afternoon after your hens are done laying.

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

What breed is he?

5. Cherosc

Cherosc New Egg

Mar 21, 2016
    Central Florida
    He is just breaking them, he has also started pecking me (like being over protective of the hen). There is no way to keep him out of the nest box so he will be put in the pen next to the hen. They are Birchen Cochin bantams. I have never had a problem with LF or bantam Cochins before. :/
    Thanks you for the replies, I will put them together every three days. :)

Kim

6. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    Can u put a like old shirt and shred it to make flaps over the nesting boxes

7. Cherosc

Cherosc New Egg

Mar 21, 2016
    Central Florida
    Believe me, I have gone through many, many different nest boxes and materials. This is my only and last option, and I will be finding him a new home. This is something I have been dealing with for a while now.

8. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    Well I hope u find him a home and find another

9. raggy907

raggy907 New Egg

Jan 7, 2016
    Alaska
    What about the nesting box design with a sloped floor that allows the freshly laid eggs to roll back through a small slot into a protected area? It's some work but it sounds like you're willing to go to some length.
    Rich

10. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    That's a good idea

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by