Rooster broke his spur. Help please!!

hvalle98

Hatching
8 Years
Nov 18, 2011
Hi, I've lived in the city my entire life and never had a rooster before. As I mentioned on my first post, more than a year ago a rooster started coming to our home every day looking for food. Time went by and he got closer and closer to us; he even started to get into our house. So today he got in as usual and suddenly started fighting against the mirror on my closet door. As soon as I noticed that I immediately opened the door so that he couldn't see his reflection, but it was too late: he broke his right spur. Now he is limping and can't put his right leg on the floor; furthermore it seems to be bleeding. What should I do now? Will this heal by itself or should I take him to the vet? (He avoids human contact so that would be a problem). Will he be able to walk again today?

I know this is not the first time someone posts something like this but the problem is that the rooster isn't ours, he lives by himself on a neighbor's tree so in order to get there he must climb walls and ceilings. He has no owner since he escaped from a neighbor's house because apparently they mistreated him. I don't know what to do.

I would GREATLY appreciate any help.

As long as it is only his spur that is injured and not his foot or joint, he should heal just fine I think. My rooster seems to actually pick his spurs off once a year when they get too long and then they just grow back like a toe nail. They do bleed. Good luck and maybe someone else on here can help you more.

I think that he should be fine, but just make sure that (like the previous poster said) his leg and joints are OK...

My roosters spurs get too long, and then you can just take them off, and they do bleed some...

It will grow back, as long as his leg is fine, don't worry!

You might find this following information helpful to determine the condition of your roo:

Rooster spurs can be twisted off with pliers, and there is a small "live" part that remains, like a tiny spur.

The spurs regrow. There is some blood as the spur is removed. They do recommend from what I saw on youtube (a video on how to remove them) that you leave them in a cage overnight so they don't get picked on by other chickens.

I would be inclined to think he should be confined to a cage overnight but if this is logistically impossible then hopefully he will be able to get back into his tree ok without problems. Especially if he lives by himself and has no other chickens to peck at his little bloody spot.

I have a feral rooster that took up here too. A couple of weeks ago he hurt his leg somehow and wasn't able to get over the fence to stay with my girls like he usually does every day. I realized he could not put one foot forward but had to drag it. I got a fish net and caught him. He didn't like it but once I got him in my arms he was quite calm. I penned him up for a couple of days till he could walk and get up in his trees to roost again safely.
sharon
Hi, I've lived in the city my entire life and never had a rooster before. As I mentioned on my first post, more than a year ago a rooster started coming to our home every day looking for food. Time went by and he got closer and closer to us; he even started to get into our house. So today he got in as usual and suddenly started fighting against the mirror on my closet door. As soon as I noticed that I immediately opened the door so that he couldn't see his reflection, but it was too late: he broke his right spur. Now he is limping and can't put his right leg on the floor; furthermore it seems to be bleeding. What should I do now? Will this heal by itself or should I take him to the vet? (He avoids human contact so that would be a problem). Will he be able to walk again today?

I know this is not the first time someone posts something like this but the problem is that the rooster isn't ours, he lives by himself on a neighbor's tree so in order to get there he must climb walls and ceilings. He has no owner since he escaped from a neighbor's house because apparently they mistreated him. I don't know what to do.

I would GREATLY appreciate any help.

My rooster lost his spurs and they grew back. There was a little blood on one but the hens did not bother him. He lived to the ripe old age of 10. Was attacked by a fox several years ago.

Hi, well I think his legs are joints are OK but I'm not sure. I uploaded a video if that helps...

Thank you everyone.

I think that he should be fine, but just make sure that (like the previous poster said) his leg and joints are OK...

My roosters spurs get too long, and then you can just take them off, and they do bleed some...

It will grow back, as long as his leg is fine, don't worry!

Well he certainly is favoring that leg but is getting around. What a beautiful boy he is!!!

love.gif

i would imagine that if he hit somethimg hard enough to break the spur off it easily could bruise the area and that make it hurt. A soak in epsom salts water would do him wonders. If you can get that close you can scoop him up in a net. They calm down after you get them in your arms. Then you could stick his feet in warm water with espoms in it.
sharon

Back
Top Bottom