Rooster changing color - again!

irenesnow

Hatching
10 Years
Dec 27, 2009
Madras, Oregon
I would like to know if anyone can explain my rooster's color changes. Last year, he was the perfect Rhode Island Red rooster, color-wise and a handsome dude if I do say so myself. Then last spring, he changed color until he was almost all white. BTW, he won the crowing contest at our local county fair in July
big_smile.png
. Anyway, he is going through molting again and I'll be darned if he's not changing back to his darker colors! What is up with this???? Has anyone else seen this happen? He's now 2 years old, give or take a few months.

That's wierd. I've never heard of a chicken doing that. I have a dog that turns redder in the fall/winter and back to buff in the spring/summer. Your fair has a crowing contest? COOL!!!

Yes we do! It's a very small fair - there's only about 19,000 souls in the whole county. It was a very impromtu thing, but we're going to do it again next year. We lined up all the roosters (caged) and counted the crows in 5 minutes. Newman won - he had 8, his nearest challenger had 5. Further proof that people will bet on anything...

I don't know if anyone will see this as its an old thread, but I'm wondering if roosters really can change colour I have a white rump less rooster who has either become seriously dirty over the past year or he is growing nasty colored greyish dingy looking feathers. I bathed him but he didn't come any cleaner.

My husband says bathing and blow drying a rooster officially makes me a crazy chicken lady. And he says it like its a bad thing...:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom