Rooster chasing children.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by h_palmer, Sep 1, 2011.

1. h_palmer

h_palmer Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2011
    Queensland, Australia
    Robert is very friendly toward everyone else, it only started when my daughter was wearing her school uniform outside, black skirt with a bright yellow shirt, so we were thinking that maybe it was the uniform that was the problem, she wont go outside so we cannot test the theory, her friend was also in her school uniform at the time. She also shows that she is frightened.

He used to peck my feet when I went into the coop in the morning but it stopped and he has never pecked my boys or my husband.

Thanks again

Here is Robert, Lulu and Tiny eating my Brocolli plants
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  2. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    Quote:Indeed.
    I don't have to worry about that with My Orpy boys and I'm free to cull based on looks as they all seem to have winning attitudes, But I've had a few easter Eggers that ended up in soup solely due to children chasing attitudes. And they were the tastiest yet! [​IMG]

3. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    Freezer camp is the only solution. No roo is worth a child (or adult) getting serious injury. Chilldren usually get more serious injury (like to the head or face) just because they are closer to ground level and I shudder to think what could happen.
    If you can't do the deed yourself, put an ad on craigslist and he will ge gone in a flash. In the meantime, he forfeitted his right to freerange when he went after humans.

4. h_palmer

Sep 1, 2011
    Queensland, Australia
    Whats "Craigslist" - I am in Australia....... - I have put up an online ad about a month ago, for a giveaway but nothing... no one seems to want roosters, there was one interested person but he was really looking for a specific type of rooster.

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  5. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    Quote:If you would really like to keep Robert, you could check into the clothing thing easily enough without your daughter's help. Take her uniform and lay it over your arm so that it looks like someone wearing it. You could even hold on to the skirt with your hand and just run your arm through the blouse. Go outside and if he gets riled up, you know it is the clothes. That may be the problem. So long as she doesn't wear the outfit outside where he is, hopefully all will be well. It certainly doesn't hurt to try it. He could also be going after the movement of the skirt when they run. Put on a skirt or wrap a towel around your waist and take a jog around the yard. If he gets fired up, that's the problem.

Personally, I'd make soup.

6. Cambium29

Cambium29 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2011
    If the rooster is chasing and the children run, it will just trigger a natural response for the rooster to continue the chase. What the girls need to do is stand ground and give him a swift kick to let him know who is boss. I, too, would check the school uniform theory before making soup; it may be he doesn't like certain colors.

7. h_palmer

Sep 1, 2011
    Queensland, Australia
    Thanks heaps for all your replies, will definately check out the uniform thing tomorrow......

As for the running thing, just what I thought too, we he started pecking my feet in the coop in the morning, after I showed him who's boss he never did it again, and that is probably why he doesnt go after my boys because if he does chase them they stop and chase him, although they havent been able to catch him yet it sure wears them out running around the backyard after him. [​IMG]

Will do a few experiments and if nothing works will deal with it the other way, he is young just wanted to fatten him up abit first only 5mths old.

Thanks again, anything else others can think of will be greatly appreciated.

Heather

8. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    I'm sorry, but if you don't keep him contained instead of free ranging, you are taking a risk of something serious happening....especially if your kids have friends over. Imagine telling some child's parents that your rooster, who you knew was aggressive beforehand, spurred the blood out of their baby, or worse, did eye damage to that child: it does happen, unfortunately. If you can't keep him contained, you need to rehome him or cook him. The very fact that my daughter was too scared to play outside would have already been enough for me.

Not trying to be harsh, but I always think you should put your kids' safety first in these situations.

9. h_palmer

Sep 1, 2011
    Queensland, Australia
    Hi all

Well tomorrow is D-Day for poor Robert, my children have been told that he is off to a farm, my daughter being at school and my boys at Day-care for the day at least daddy dearest can do the deed. It will be sad because I really do like him and he has character but my kids need to be able to play in their own backyard without fear.

Will let you all know how it goes. [​IMG]

Regards
    Heather

10. KBUGS

KBUGS Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    NC
    Oh, it stinks having to do away with a roo. We just shot and ate our roo. He was great with my girls and myself, but he would ruffle up at and peck at my husbands shoes. We didn't worry too much about that, but my girlfriend had her kids over and her 2 year old was walking out in the back yard and "Adam" (the roo) came and jusmped on him 3 times in a row trying to spur him. Adam would have continued to attack if my friend hadn't been watching and saw it all go down. She was there fast, thanks goodness. He scratched Cameron on his arm and drew blood, and then he got him down the area of his eye, from the middle of his forehead to the middle of his cheek. I'm glad Cameron closed his eye or he would have gotten it. We shot Adam. Seemed the quickest way to do it. Adam never knew it was coming. Our girls were actually there. They knew it needed to be done and helped in the whole process. I'm sure some parents wouldn't agree, but I thought it was a good life lesson. I love them, but nothing is worth my child losing an eye or worse.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by