Rooster Choice Advice

my opinion is, I would eat the white if hes mean, sexing chicks wouldn't be considered ,unless the reason your going to have chickens ,is to sell baby hens or roos , most small flock owners just sell straight run if they have extra and get rid of the extra roos they have left by eating them or selling them.commercial hatcheries need to know the sex in order to supply the chimerical growers

I was thinking the same thing as you (if you have them as chicks, they will be friendly) but I was told it probably wouldn't make much difference. I too have kids that get charged when they get close. It isn't that they are trying to be mean, they think they are protecting the hens. I hope I am not disappointing you by telling you this. I actually have eggs in the bator and had the exact same plan as you do. But like I said, I may end up with the same situation as I have now with a roo that I hatch. I'm sure there are exceptions with RIR roos, but I have never heard anyone that has one that is nice. Go figure, the hens are very friendly and lay lots of nice eggs, and the roos are as mean as the day is long.

Well, I grew up with RIR and NHRs that I was in charge of and got along well with even as a kid, that doesn't mean they're ALL that way, just that ours back then were. Thing is, that's the sort of chicken that I prefer now because its what I was around the most growing up. I like lots of other mixes too, but the only Leghorns I knew were not at all friendly, but again, that is just a personal preference!

I know lots of people who love their Leghorns so PLEASE don't assume it's some kind of rule! Besides all that, since I grew up with brown eggs, to me white eggs taste funny and I KNOW that's impossible!!!!!!

Well since I already have a straight run of 25 ordered the best thing, at this point, is probably going to be that I will need to watch for a Roo with some social skills LOL...

We actually caught Roo the other day with a net and sat him down in our lap on the swing and petted him for a while.

It doesn't seem to have done any good... I am still looking for this Rooster Red info... I can try whatever he suggests...

He is a GREAT roo as far as the hens are concerned. He fights dogs etc.. he has saved their lives... and would have lost his own had I not been there to chase the attacking dog away.

He just hates us. Funny thing though.... you never see him away from the hens unless he is chasing somebody... but when they get low in food he comes to the back door and pecks on the window.

Could be coincidence... but when he shows up alone pecking on the door I will go out and, sure enough, they are getting low on food.

Quote:
Maybe it is because you are used to farm fresh eggs... it could be the freshness that makes the difference.

OEGB = old english game bird
bbred.jpg

I don't think it's hate. He's doing his job. Unfortunatly, your child(ren) are a threat in his eyes. If he has chased dogs and such away, he's doing a great job. I had a hawk get on of my girls last week. I was outside within seconds of it happing, and my roo had hightailed to the barn with the others. He's nothing but a big chicken. lol

If Red Roosters thread is the one I'm thinking of, he says put the roo in your lap. Grab his comb and gently pull his head down by it. Hold it there for a little and let go. If he lifts his head, repeat. Do this until he will keep his head down after letting go. This is some sort of dominance thing in the chicken world. I noticed my hens doing this to a new roo that I. I think it's worth a try. Thing is, it may not prevent him from charging your children unless they do the same.

Well, goodluck with whatever you decide.

Quote:
Oh... okay thanks...

I was searching for a site somewhere...

My bad.

Back
Top Bottom