Rooster choking on blood?

BubbaBubbles

Songster
May 14, 2023
Virginia
Hi all. Just this afternoon my roo, Trifle (2lb egger bantam), got into a fight with the neighbor's roo (5lb stand. egger) through the chainlink fence. He ended up with an injured wattle, which I successfully treated, and am letting him stay indoors overnight to make sure all is clear for him to return outside. But this is not the issue I'm asking about. While cleaning his wattles with poultry-wound spray and water, I noticed he was breathing with an open mouth and blood inside. He allowed me to look in it but I spotted no injuries to his tongue or anything. He had no wounds to his throat or near his neck or vital areas. I managed to clean it out of his mouth and get him to drink water. Is it possible this is an effect from a damaged wattle or was it possibly the other rooster's blood? The neighbor's roo is much darker in color so I couldn't tell if he was hurt or not.

Rooster fights are always rough. It sounds like he got a little beat up. If it still happens, it would be worth looking into, but for now, it might just be like a bloody nose? Sorry, I can’t think of a better way to say it.

Rooster fights are always rough. It sounds like he got a little beat up. If it still happens, it would be worth looking into, but for now, it might just be like a bloody nose? Sorry, I can’t think of a better way to say it.
Thank you. Luckily he hasn't bled this morning and has safely returned to his hen and chicks. He even crowed for them when he went inside lol

Back
Top Bottom