Rooster comb bleeding, black spots

swollieee

Hatching
Jul 11, 2016
Hello all, posted recently about my rooster: when he would eat out of 2" pvc feeder, he would leave a little bit of blood behind. I thought maybe he was cutting himself on the feeder so I switched it out with an identical 3" pvc feeder. However, I am still getting blood. I know he is not continuously cutting it on the feeder, I watched him eat the other day and as soon as his comb made contact (nothing rough or aggressive) there would be a transfer of blood onto the top of the feeder. I have also started noticing black spots on his comb. My question is basically what should i Do and is there anything i should be worried about in particular? This has been going on for maybe 2 weeks? Im wondering if he cut it on something and bc of how his comb bumps the pvc feeder overtime he eats its kinda not allowing it to heal? Should I switch to the traditional bucket style feeder until it heals? To eliminate some theories, as of now I only have him & 1 hen out in the coop until my 7 baby hens can make it out there (started with 6 straight run, ended up w 5 roosters blah) So I do not think this is due to a pecking order situation, by all means he is the man of the coop. I'm really lost about this so any help would be greatly appreciated. My rooster is a New Hampshire Red & is almost 4 months. Picture below included. Thank you.

I have some BCM's that had those black spots once. Rooster and hens. The rooster also had like a white mold growing on his comb too. Whatever it was it cleared up. I don't know why he would be bleeding though.

One of my roosters is like this. I figured it was from them fighting, but I am not positive.

Anybody have any ideas on how to help heal the cuts so the bleeding will stop? I'm at a loss

It looks like he was pecked since the black marks are from blood. They don't need any care or medicine, as they will heal on their own. Just make sure the hens are not pecking him, which can be common with a young rooster, or he could be injuring himself on fencing or something around the coop.

One thought is blu kote as an antibacterial/anti fungal. May also dissuade some of the pecking.

If it is harassment and keeps up, you could also try putting Vicks vaporub on the comb. It can help curb pecking at the comb.

Back
Top Bottom