Rooster comb changing color?

smiert

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 12, 2009
I have a Delaware rooster , one year old. Does anyone know why his comb woud somedays be uniformly red and other days it seems to be turning dark at the tips? I live in Texas, so frostbite is not a problem.

I had a blue andalasian that would turn kinda purple /blue on the blade or back end of his comb.. and it was cooler to the touch.. However, this was in the middle of summer and just random.. was curious also.. but it went away so I didn't worry about it.. but would love the reason why this happens..

I am not certain what the total list of things is that can cause it, but things I know of include dehydration, circulatory insufficiency (like in CornishX), mites, or illness even if the bird seems otherwise ok.

My Sussex roo has had a bit of that, once associated with definite illness but sometimes it comes and goes for no obvious reason; I do not think I will be breeding from him any more, as there is evidently *something* wrong even if I can't figure out exactly what it is.

Good luck,

Pat

I had a little bit of a freakout watching my roo the other day. His comb was almost purple. Since I'd been out of town for a few days, I pulled up a bucket for some roo-watching.

The longer I sat and the less agitated he got, the more normal looking his comb became. After about 45 min, it was back to its normal red.

Are they like a mood ring, maybe?

I haven't seen the blue/black comb on my roo--but I did notice that a few weeks ago, his comb seemed less red, than it had been--but now--It's back to the bright red..it was--maybe even more red.

I had the same problem! I was checking this forum for answers! purpley comb staring from the back and mostly on the tips! he was frusterated cause he was cooped up. i let him out, and now his comb is bright red!
YAY! thanks!
smile.png
celebrate.gif

It could be multiple roosters. We had two the dominant's comb was bright red and the submissive turned light pink. We separated them today. We'll let you know what happens.

We understand the red on the comb, but my rooster has black and white dots on his comb. What does that mean? It is DEFINITELY not frostbite because I live in Texas and right now it is the summer. Can you tell me what this could mean?
D.gif
THX

Back
Top Bottom