1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster Combs

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by leslieaus13, Feb 21, 2009.

1. leslieaus13

leslieaus13 New Egg

Oct 24, 2008
    We have had a number of 'comb issues' with our rooster:
    Black spots that we learned are mosquito bites and disappear after a couple of days.
    Frostbite, the spikes on the comb turned black, bled, the dead tissue eventually sloughed off after about 3 months. The process was repeated a number of times during the weeks it took for the comb to heal. The Rooster never seemed to be in any distress.

Regarding Spurs - What is the best way to remove them?

LKR Dripping Springs

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Spurs are best trimmed with a dremel tool and cut off wheel. Get someone to hold him. Cut the spur about 3/8 in. from leg. He will squirm, but the reaction is mostly due to the vibration of the dremel. The wheel creats a little heat as it cuts so the spur is automatically cauterized and little, if any blood is lost. The bird will act as if nothing happened and act as normal. No further action is required.

3. ThornyRidge

ThornyRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    I don't remove spurs but keep them trimmed flat.. I use my goat hoof shears and nip off the ends.. do this periodically as they do grow fast.

4. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    You can put vasiline every couple of days on your Roo's comb to help prevent frostbite.

5. trinity

trinity Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Amarillo Texas
    cool good advise !!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by