Rooster concerns & baby chicks

clucksnducklins

In the Brooder
Apr 1, 2022
I have a rooster that I've had for about a month now, he hasn't been aggressive toward me.. I can come and go in the pen and he stalks me a little bit sometimes but I move calmly and he has been okay.. (But I do NOT trust him and will not turn my back on him).. However, today I ran out of chicken feed and I noticed he flew out of the pen and was eating what the ducks had left over and when I went over to do a couple chores he was coming over by me and started running at me so I hastily walked around him.. Needless to say I felt terror like never before.. Anyway I tried to butter him up by sprinkling instant oats around him (all I could find until I got feed later!) and he was eating it by me and things were okay again.. My question is... Did he only leave the pen in search of food? Will this become a regular occurrence with him flying out or will he stay in the pen as long as there's food in there? And also, is it even worth it having a rooster...? I originally got him bc I wanted baby chicks but I'm only getting around 0-3 eggs a day (I have 10 hens) and so far no one has been staying on the eggs and it seems like I will never get any chicks.. Currently I've been feeding them cracked corn and oyster shells but am not sure if I need to make a change or let things run their course and I'll eventually get eggs to hatch?

Roosters are a bit of a crap shoot. Beware, this will get better, or worse. If worse, you need a plan B. A dog crate, and long handled fish net to catch him with.

You do need better feed than just cracked corn and oyster feed - Do get layer feed, or all flock feed for the main diet.

Almost all hens lay eggs, and will do so with or without a rooster. How old are your hens, 0-3 eggs per day, sound like you either have very young hens just getting started or very old hens, slow to start up again with the spring. Sunshine and longer days should help with that, and maybe a higher quality feed might help too.

What breed of hens do you have? Some breeds are more prone to going broody than others, some breeds seldom go broody (but my first broody hen was a breed that was never suppose to go broody, just saying).

When a hen goes broody - she will set on eggs or even nothing. If you are just getting started, I would nix the rooster, and just enjoy the hens, and if you get a broody, slip some chicks under her.

If you are thinking of hatching chicks, what are your plans for the rooster chicks. You really cannot keep all of them, and so someone has to butcher them, some people can't do that. It is something to consider before you hatch.

Good luck,

Mrs K

All my hens are about 7 months old, some are rhode island reds, barred rock, Brahma, ancona, .. The rooster is Egyptian fayoumi, I've heard good and bad things about them... I will keep him around and see how things go and switch up the feed as well.. As for the eggs I guess we'll continue to eat them if it really doesn't matter if they're fertilzed, and maybe skip hatching them and just buy chicks at tractor supply again so at least I'll know what I'm getting. Does it matter if the rooster eats with the hens? I cant really keep them separate so whatever they eat he eats.. I really appreciate your response, you have been very helpful😁

I quicked my roosters spurs when trimming the tips and he hasn't liked me since.(I can't say I blame him ) It was the first time I ever trimmed a roosters spurs and I only did it because my hens are smaller than him. I should have asked for help but didn't .Its too late to change anything now. I doubt my rooster will change his opinion of me.He's tried to fly up at me 3 times now.(each time I've caught him and held him down until he submitted) I have an order for baby chicks I plan to send off in 2 weeks and one of those chicks will likely take his place. If you don't feel safe around your rooster get rid of him.The hens are more fun without a rooster

You're right, it was more fun with just my hens lol The rooster has been staying in the pen for the past few days but somehow the same few hens get out and I have to catch them and drop them back in the pen and he always makes noises at me when I do..Im always worried he is going to fly up at me.. He can fly quite high, he gets on top of the chicken house and crows at the top of his lungs and my neighbors are a half mile away and can hear him lol.. Hopefully he sees I'm not a threat.. I would never dare even picking him up, no one could pay me enough to touch those spurs!!

Welcome to BYC. If you find that your cockerel is making you nervous you will probably be happier without him.

Some of the ill-behavior of cockerels and roosters is inbred -- aggressive males tend to breed aggressive males.

But some of it has to do with the keeper's behavior. They can sense fear and will be more aggressive towards a fearful keeper than toward a confident keeper.

You do need better feed than just cracked corn and oyster feed - Do get layer feed, or all flock feed for the main diet.
Normal layer feed can give roosters kidney problems. I use all flock and I get 3 eggs a day from my 3 hens. I agree, chickens need more than cracked corn and oyster shells. I use Nutrena scratch and my hens love it. It has seeds aswell as corn. I use TSC crushed oyster shells, put it in their food, and mix it. They have turned out to be nice and fine hens. One is part dog I swear, begs for food, pecks plastic bags when treats inside it. She is psycho. Love her though. Nice big eggs from her.

Back
Top Bottom