Rooster Concerns

mkiwi

Hatching
Apr 8, 2020
Georgetown, SC
I live in Georgetown, SC and I'm looking into buying unsexed chicks from a local feed store or online. However, my city doesn't allow roosters in the area that I live in. They allow hens, though. My concern is: what will I do if some of the chicks I buy end up being male? I doubt I'd be able to return them. What should I do?

edit: This will also be my first time raising chicks or even having chickens :S all advice would be appreciated! <3

You need a plan for the roosters. Will you butcher and eat them? Or will you be able to sell them? They will start crowing at about three months. If you can't do either of those things, reliably and responsibly, then don't get unsexed chicks. Even buying sexed chicks, pullets (females) is no guarantee you won't end up with an occasional rooster. Good luck!

If you can't have roosters where you live, I'd not purchase straight run (unsexed) birds, unless you have a plan for any cockerels (someone that can legally take any males) I believe My Pet Chicken sells sexed bantams, but they are more expensive.

Edited because I have no clue why I thought you mentioned bantams. I was just on a post about some bantams so maybe that's where that came from.

From what I have learned, if you want and are only legally allowed to have pullets/hens, you best bet is to go with auto sexing breeds.

Last edited:
I've heard of some cockerels beginning to crow much earlier. My first 3 cockerels began at 7 weeks and my bantam cochin began crowing at 4 weeks. I know someone told me their started attempting to crow at one week old. Of course it wouldn't be loud until probably around 4 weeks or so.

I've heard of some cockerels beginning to crow much earlier. My first 3 cockerels began at 7 weeks and my bantam cochin began crowing at 4 weeks. I know someone told me their started attempting to crow at one week old. Of course it wouldn't be loud until probably around 4 weeks or so.

True that. My BAs are starting to try to crow at 8 weeks, but they are making pathetic little croaks that would not offend any neighbors if I had any. In another month or so, after that, though, they may begin to bugle rather convincingly and, fairly soon after that, - at about 4 months - (?) Edit: sorry, I have no idea what I was trying to say after this point. Past my bedtime apparently! 😱

Last edited:
If you buy unsexed chicks, try to buy the autosexing type. Ones where you can reasonably tell their gender based on fluff color or head spot, etc. I’m not too knowledgeable on the autosexing breeds, so maybe someone else can respond. One issue you may have is that the store employee picks for you and you cannot say yes or no to what they put in your box.

Otherwise, only buy sexed pullets.

Alternatively, you can advertise on CL to sell unwanted roosters. You can advertise in the community board at the feed store.

I live in Georgetown, SC and I'm looking into buying unsexed chicks from a local feed store or online. However, my city doesn't allow roosters in the area that I live in. They allow hens, though. My concern is: what will I do if some of the chicks I buy end up being male? I doubt I'd be able to return them. What should I do?

edit: This will also be my first time raising chicks or even having chickens :S all advice would be appreciated! <3
Hi from Columbia, SC!! So I am also a first time chicken owner! Columbia only allows 4 hens and no roosters. I got my 4 chicks from Tractor Supply 2ish weeks ago and they were all sexed pullets. Unfortunately, I believe Plague, one of my Barred Rock chicks is male so I am in the position of figuring out a plan on how I am going to deal with him. So theres still a chance even when you order pullets, and even with Barred Rock chicks where you can tell sex early on, that you still get a male.
Anyways, glad to meet someone else from SC!

You need a plan for the roosters. Will you butcher and eat them? Or will you be able to sell them? They will start crowing at about three months. If you can't do either of those things, reliably and responsibly, then don't get unsexed chicks. Even buying sexed chicks, pullets (females) is no guarantee you won't end up with an occasional rooster. Good luck!
thank you so much I'll try to find someone who can take a rooster if I get one!

Another option is looking on CL for people getting rid of their chickens. I got my first flock this way, they were only a year old and their previous owner was moving. It all depends on what you are looking for and how much you are willing to spend. I agree with the other posters that you need to have a plan. Have you looked into buying pullets?

Another option is looking on CL for people getting rid of their chickens. I got my first flock this way, they were only a year old and their previous owner was moving. It all depends on what you are looking for and how much you are willing to spend. I agree with the other posters that you need to have a plan. Have you looked into buying pullets?
I haven't looked into pullets too much, but I don't have much money to spend. I think if I do decide to go down the chick route that I'll use CL if I get a rooster.

Back
Top Bottom