Rooster confusion

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by oaklandmama, Jul 20, 2011.

1. oaklandmama

oaklandmama Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    Oakland, CA
    Hi there,

I'm new here, looking for some chicken wisdom. :)

We've got two white leghorns in our group of eight, and one has been very roostery lately. Has a much bigger comb and wattle, and last week started growing spurs. It is definitely the most assertive of the chickens, as well as the most curious. He hasn't crowed yet, but we're not allowed to have roosters and the visual difference between the two white leghorns was so striking, so we'd started to find a new home for him. All of our chickens are almost 5 months old.

Well this morning I went out and found our first egg. A little white one. And the suspected rooster was clucking like crazy and kept sitting in the henhouse. Then after lunch I checked again, and there was another little white egg. It is possible that we missed the first white egg yesterday, we weren't looking for it, and it got laid at the opposite end of the henhouse from the nesting boxes.

So... is it possible for the two leghorns to be so visually different and still hens? Do hens ever grow spurs? We're totally confused. The eggs have to be leghorn eggs, the other ones we have are all colored egg layers.

[​IMG]

Here's a picture of the suspected rooster sitting in the henhouse this morning. The other leghorn has a teeny tiny comb that is barely red. More like a light pink color.

I'd be super appreciative of your opinions!

Jisun
    www.kimchilatkes.com

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Looks like a hen to me.[​IMG]

3. oaklandmama

Jul 20, 2011
    Oakland, CA
    Even though it looks so different from the other one, and it has spurs? The spurs are really confusing me. Do hens ever grow spurs?

Thanks for the hen vote though, I want it to be a she! :)

Jisun
    www.kimchilatkes.com

4. Newchick2this

Newchick2this Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2011
    connecticut
    I think he's a she very pretty to. Good luck and if you know anyone who wants roosters I have 3 and can't keep them and they are crowing morning noon and night.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Yes, hens occassionally grow spurs, and that is a leghorn hen at POL.

6. oaklandmama

Jul 20, 2011
    Oakland, CA
    Ok, I feel a little lame. What does POL mean?

Jisun [​IMG]

7. codymax2

codymax2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Liverpool, NY
    point of laying [​IMG] Took me a few too hehe
    Quote:

8. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:POL = point of lay.

Don't leghorn hens typically have spurs? I know my brown leghorn hen does.

9. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    I'm having a hard time getting a good look at that picture, but it appears to be a hen to me. I had three leghorns, two roosters and one hen. The roosters were very, very obviously roosters by 6 weeks old. My hen's wattles and comb were much smaller. However, by the time she started laying, her comb was a good inch tall, at least.

10. oaklandmama

Jul 20, 2011
    Oakland, CA
    Thanks everyone! This forum is amazing. Our leghorn thanks you too, hubby was all set to send our "rooster" to the stock pot. Now I can get on to being excited that we had our first eggs! [​IMG]

Jisun

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by