1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster "crowing" with no-crow collar - video

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chicknshrimp, Dec 11, 2014.

1. chicknshrimp

chicknshrimp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2014
    Here is my 6 month old RIR rooster Pablo giving it his all while wearing a rooster collar. We made ours out of 2" velcro and its been working great, we have it tightened to where we can get a pinky under it and we check it nightly when he goes to roost. He is now much quieter than our hens, you can't hear him from in the house.

He doesn't love it, he does the occasional moon walk to try and back out of it but its kept him out of a stew pot so we're happy about that. We're moving to a farm in June where he can crow his little heart out, he just has to keep quiet until then [​IMG].
    [​IMG]

2. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    thats funny...he sounds like a old man :)

Do you have a pic of how you made it?? The ones you buy are too costly, especially when you have more them 1 roo :)

3. chicknshrimp

chicknshrimp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2014
    Its literally just a strip of 2" velcro, soft side down. We got the velcro at the hardware store in a roll with enough to make tons of collars. We have it tight enough that we can only get the tip of a finger in, otherwise he crows loud. We check the tightness every other day or so just to make sure as he's still growing.

4. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    cool! thanks a lot!

5. liberallinda

liberallinda New Egg

Feb 26, 2014
    East Millcreek, Utah
    Remember to put the collar high on the neck because the voice box is at the top of the neck and not at the base. Check it out by googling "anatomy of a chicken" and you'll see that the voice box is just under the bill of the chicken.

6. mlyon

mlyon Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2010
    Is that the two strip Velcro? Or one strip Velcro (one side has the hooks and the other side is soft)

I could only find the one strip Velcro in 1.5 in
    I did find the 2" wide Velcro that comes in 2 pieces (hook strip and loop strip)

Please advise. Thank you.

Mlyon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by