Rooster Damage. How to Manage Injured Hen or Eliminate Rooster?

Thank you all.
I do believe that the initial wound was caused by the rooster that we already eliminated, but since Rupert is reopening her wound when he mates her, I believe we will end his life today. Hopefully Briggs, our other guy will be gentle with her. Or else, I guess we will just not have roosters right now.
Sounds like a good plan.

I have to report that Rupert is no longer and the flock is very much at ease. Scarlet (the hen with the horrible head wound) is not being bothered at all by any of the other hens, in fact she eased back into their graces quite quickly. Poppy (the one missing feathers on her head) is no longer looking to me for protection and to take her with me on my morning chores. Although I miss her company, the fact that she wants to stay with her flock is amazing and something she has not been happy about for months. Briggs (the rooster we kept) seemed shocked by his new responsibility and so far has been behaving himself. The ladies mainly chase him off and I do not see him mating with the hens. We will watch how his behavior develops. Thank you for helping me through that.

I have to report that Rupert is no longer and the flock is very much at ease. Scarlet (the hen with the horrible head wound) is not being bothered at all by any of the other hens, in fact she eased back into their graces quite quickly. Poppy (the one missing feathers on her head) is no longer looking to me for protection and to take her with me on my morning chores. Although I miss her company, the fact that she wants to stay with her flock is amazing and something she has not been happy about for months. Briggs (the rooster we kept) seemed shocked by his new responsibility and so far has been behaving himself. The ladies mainly chase him off and I do not see him mating with the hens. We will watch how his behavior develops. Thank you for helping me through that.
I’m glad you found a peaceful solution for your flock.

I'm glad everything worked out!

You did the right thing. Also get some blu kote for that wound and reapply regularly until you know it won’t reopen from pecking order reminders and show blood.

I’ve had one bird (buff Orpington hen) that has caused that exact level of damage before. Both pullets she attacked lived and that butthole hen is no longer with us.

Back
Top Bottom