Rooster damaging hens during mating

Marianne25

Songster
5 Years
Sep 1, 2015
Northwest CT (Litchfield County)
Has anyone had a rooster who is such a Clumsy/violent “mater” that he has torn the skin on the hens’ backs? The first hen about six months ago had a wound that I assumed was from a possible predator attack. It looked horrific but after cleaning and some liquid bandage she healed just fine. I have about four hens that have had to wear aprons now because of missing feathers on their backs from his mating but yesterday I discovered another one with a similar large wound in the same spot as the first. I know this was not a predator because we have not been letting them free range without our supervision. This rooster has 14 hens (and six young ones coming up).
Will removing the spurs solve this problem? Or should we consider rehoming him? many of the hens also have missing head feathers/scabs because he is so rough. I think our hens deserve better treatment than this ;) He is not at all human aggressive but other than making a lot of noise he really isn’t the best protector. We have witnessed him saving himself first when a predator is around LOL thanks for any kind words and/or advise.

Has anyone had a rooster who is such a Clumsy/violent “mater” that he has torn the skin on the hens’ backs? The first hen about six months ago had a wound that I assumed was from a possible predator attack. It looked horrific but after cleaning and some liquid bandage she healed just fine. I have about four hens that have had to wear aprons now because of missing feathers on their backs from his mating but yesterday I discovered another one with a similar large wound in the same spot as the first. I know this was not a predator because we have not been letting them free range without our supervision. This rooster has 14 hens (and six young ones coming up).
Will removing the spurs solve this problem? Or should we consider rehoming him? many of the hens also have missing head feathers/scabs because he is so rough. I think our hens deserve better treatment than this ;) He is not at all human aggressive but other than making a lot of noise he really isn’t the best protector. We have witnessed him saving himself first when a predator is around LOL thanks for any kind words and/or advise.
A rooster who is aggressive and causes injury to hens needs to be separated for a few days; but this is not always affective. If your hens are that beat up, it would probably be best to re home him and either not have a rooster until they heal, or try to find another cockerel that’s young and you can mold (which again, isn’t always effective bc sometimes a roosters personality is just A-hole and there’s nothing you can do). But introducing a younger cockerel to a group of grown hens can help as the hens will put the little one in its place and “teach” it how to treat the ladies. I used to try and fix all my aggressive roosters; now they get one chance and after that they are usually culled. I have no tolerance for them hurting my hens.

Trim and file/dull your roosters spurs with dog nail clippers. You could also remove him to a pen or dog crate with food and water for a little time for the hens to heal. He may calm down when he gets a little older. Hen saddles can help if there is feather loss on the back. I have made one piece polar fleece ones like these that are no-sew and held on by the wings:
http://www.linnacresfarm.com/2014/04/how-to-make-simple-hen-saddleapron.html

Back
Top Bottom