Rooster dance

bumpercarr

Songster
7 Years
Aug 29, 2012
Tularosa, New Mexico
I've looked everywhere, in all of my books and on the web, and I can't find anything about this dancing behavior that my rooster is exhibiting. Every now and then, I catch my rooster stomping his feet and turning in a very tight circle. He doesn't come after me when he does it, nor does he attack or try to mount any of the hens. I'm thinking it's his hormones and he's just "frisky" and looking for some love. Has anyone else experienced this type of behavior? I'm just hoping it isn't anything neurological, just behavioral.

My young rooster does that. Not the tight circles. He walks sideways. I thought it was kind of a challenge thing or like you said, looking for love. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

He's courting your hens. If she approves, she'll squat for him. You didn't say how old yours are, they may be too young or just unreceptive at this time of the year. It's a good thing that he's being a gentleman and not forcing himself on them. Many do and harm the hens in the process. Nothing to worry about at all.

Thank goodness. The rooster and the hens are all about 6 months old. He does mount some of them, not all of them, and the ones that he mounts don't object too much. I was really afraid that he might have something wrong with him.

Back
Top Bottom