1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster "de-throned?"

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by broodymomma, Sep 11, 2011.

1. broodymomma

broodymomma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2010
    Hi everyone,

I have three rooster and 28 hens. They have all been doing well together. My head rooster is the oldest we have had for three years. The other two had been added 1 year ago. Anyway, our head rooster has been acting funny lately. He has been alone, no ladies come when he does his call. I have noticed the other roosters chasing him away. I find him hiding in a nesting box and his crow now sounds funny. I think he has been overthrown:( So sad, he has been our favorite rooster, very sweet. Is this typical in a group of chicks? I do keep separate feeders/water inside and outside of run so there is plenty of space for everyone to eat and drink. I will not interfere unless there is bloodshed. Anything I can do? Afraid I will find him dead one day.[​IMG] Thanks for any advice.

2. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Totally normal, as long as you don't see any bad fights, don't worry about it. You can try getting rid of the roo that de-throned him. You sure he isn't sick?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by