Rooster decision-help!

Bgstoelb

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 16, 2016
So I need help with choosing which rooster to keep.

I have 5 RIR and two Icelandic Roos. I only want and need 1 roo.

The dilemma is this, one of the boys crows quite a bit and the neighbor has complained. We live on an acre in the county. The other boy doesn't crow often and it isn't as shrill.

The roo that doesn't crow much is not as good of protector and seems to pick on one of the hens.

I want a rooster to raise some chicks!

So which one do I get rid of?

?

If you are on what is classed as rural, or semi rural land you have rights to keep a rooster. Also, if you have six roosters at the moment and then you sell 5 and keep the one that crows more your neighbour will only have to put up with 1 rooster that crows often rather than 6 noisy crowers. Roosters crow 12 - 15 times a day, the lower the rooster is in the pecking order, the more he crows. The head roo crows the least because he is already established, the noisiest ones are the wimps at the bottom of the line trying to get hens and territory.

Your rooster that crows more often will crow less when there is no competition. Otherwise, if you don't want to take the risk of an upset neighbour you can keep the other cockerel - it won't be as good for your girls but at least you won't get complaints. If it were me I would keep the crower.

So I need help with choosing which rooster to keep.

I have 5 RIR and two Icelandic Roos. I only want and need 1 roo.

The dilemma is this, one of the boys crows quite a bit and the neighbor has complained. We live on an acre in the county. The other boy doesn't crow often and it isn't as shrill.

The roo that doesn't crow much is not as good of protector and seems to pick on one of the hens.

I want a rooster to raise some chicks!

So which one do I get rid of?

?

If you are on what is classed as rural, or semi rural land you have rights to keep a rooster. Also, if you have six roosters at the moment and then you sell 5 and keep the one that crows more your neighbour will only have to put up with 1 rooster that crows often rather than 6 noisy crowers. Roosters crow 12 - 15 times a day, the lower the rooster is in the pecking order, the more he crows. The head roo crows the least because he is already established, the noisiest ones are the wimps at the bottom of the line trying to get hens and territory.

Your rooster that crows more often will crow less when there is no competition. Otherwise, if you don't want to take the risk of an upset neighbour you can keep the other cockerel - it won't be as good for your girls but at least you won't get complaints. If it were me I would keep the crower.

Im not sure if i am getting this right but are the RIR girls and you have 2 Icelandic Roos? Otherwise i agree with CuckooOrpington

Thanks for the suggestions. Sorry for any confusion. The 5 RIR are hens and the roosters are the Icelandics.

I've been leaning towards keeping the crower!

Yes by all means keep him...who moves out into the country and then complains about roosters crowing anyway???? It's the quintessential definition of country. Cows mooing, donkeys braying, roosters crowing, dogs barking, I love it all.....

The hens seem to push around the non-crower, except one he tries to mate with. Would that Influence anyone's opinion to keep him?

The hens seem to push around the non-crower, except one he tries to mate with. Would that Influence anyone's opinion to keep him?
It depends on why you want to keep a rooster... if he is bossed by most of the hens he won't break up hen fights, he won't be as successful as a breeder and he will most likely not 'take lead' of the flock. If you want a rooster that does not dominate the pecking order, or a rooster that is not always hopping on hens, then he is suitable for your desires. The crower will most likely do more protecting and watch for hawks etc. Both personalities can benefit the flock, I find that hens don't need a rooster to raise alarm of a predator etc but the option is always there.

Back
Top Bottom