Rooster dominance and frostbite

upstater

Songster
7 Years
Mar 23, 2017
I now have 2 roosters in my coop along with 14 hens. I introduced a young cockerel along with 5 hens over the summer. They all free ranged 90% of the time. The two flocks would free range together during the day and then go to their separate cops to roost. Eventually, I would take the younger flock off their roost at night and put them in the large coop until they all started just going into the larger coop. They all seemed to get along just fine until late December early January. Obviously, it’s been cold in NNY and they’re not free ranging as much. The new rooster is extremely aggressive to the old rooster to the point he wouldn’t let him off the roost. He would chase him and attack. I was in the process of getting another coop set up for him and a few other hens but a got Covid and real sick. Anyways, last week I realized my older rooster was in really bad shape and brought him in my garage along with a hen who started to molt and looked terrible. Will the frostbite heal? Is this even frostbite? Sorry about the long post just looking for suggestions on coop control and treatment of the sick rooster. Any chance these two can be together again?
5D05A94D-00A4-4070-B7A0-A9368D7C6986.jpeg
E2E2AA06-93F6-4046-B5CF-DDA14F72B410.jpeg
Thanks

That is frostbite, and eventually the blackened portion of his comb will fall off. Frostbite is sometimes referred to as 'winter dubbing'. Realistically they will fight until one again gains dominance. Given enough space where he can get away from the younger rooster, they might work out a coexistence.

Im not sure how much the comb relates to the health of the bird, or if it helps project a more dominant appearance to other roosters. I had RIR rooster that was dominant over a flock of about 20 hens and 2 other roosters he grew up with (barred rock and buff orpington). Over the winter he developed bad frostbite that also took his comb. The following spring, the buff orpington began challenging his dominance and eventually killed him. Neither of them ever messed with the barred rock, but a coyote got him around the same time leaving the buff orpington as king. I always equated the power shift to the loss of the comb, I never saw any aggression from the buff orpington until it fell off.

I've read that frostbite on the comb can affect virility and fertility. I don't know how much I believe that, you can dub a rooster and he remains dominant. Dubbing is where you cut off the comb and wattles.

I'll present another possibility, again not knowing if it is accurate. I wonder if the frostbite caused the rooster to feel ill, just not up to his old self. The Buff sensed that and took advantage of it to become boss. They'll do that sometimes, take advantage of a weakness.

Or it could have just been coincidence.

Back
Top Bottom