Rooster Feed?

AshFlock

In the Brooder
Jan 5, 2021
Hello!
I have three roosters, one Turken and two Orpingtons. They are all about a year old now, and up to this point I was feeding them chickstarter/grower feed, which is what a guy at the feed store said a lot of people do. But then I talked to a lady at another store who usually deals with all the chicken stuff and she advised us to switch to a game bird feed which we did about two weeks ago. It is mostly corn and pees and such, with a lower percentage of protein in the pellets.
I thought the roosters liked it fine, but yesterday I noticed the orpingtons were looking a bit skinnier, so I picked one up, and he was significantly skinnier than normal and very bony! I’m really worried now, and thinking that maybe they haven’t been eating this new feed like I thought they were. It seems like they might just be eating the corn out and skipping the pellets. Other than being very skinny they both seem totally healthy so I don’t think there is anything else going on. I just wormed all my chickens 3-4 weeks ago. So now I am trying to help them get back to their normal weight. Does anybody have any advice on how to help them get healthy again, and what to feed them moving forward?

the reason the guy recommended game bird feed is because generally game bird feed is high protein feed.
You can buy 12.5% game bird feed, apparently its for older birds but it just sounds like a way for the manufacturers to save cost, even though it is a game bird feed that would be unsuitable for roosters imo. You found an inferior game bird feed to replace it with bt if you found a 20% game bird feed then that would be a good alternative. I don't see the need unless you can save money.

I have three roosters, one Turken and two Orpingtons. They are all about a year old now, and up to this point I was feeding them chickstarter/grower feed, which is what a guy at the feed store said a lot of people do. But then I talked to a lady at another store who usually deals with all the chicken stuff and she advised us to switch to a game bird feed which we did about two weeks ago. It is mostly corn and pees and such, with a lower percentage of protein in the pellets.
I thought the roosters liked it fine, but yesterday I noticed the orpingtons were looking a bit skinnier, so I picked one up, and he was significantly skinnier than normal and very bony! I’m really worried now,
I'd switch back to a Non-medicated Starter-Grower feed 18% Protein.
I don't have a Cockerel/Rooster but based on your observations I'd switch back to a Crumble feed that prevents them from choosing favorites like corn and not eating the pellets in their current feed. GC

Back
Top Bottom