Rooster fight

The answer depends on your dominant roo. A good dominant roo will back off when the opponent shows defeat. The introduction need to be in free range where there is plenty of space to show submission. They may need to interact several times to settle who is who. It sounds like your larger roo was watching to see what the others move would be. A retreat, not a roll over is a normal submission for a rooster. Now your birds are individuals. You are watching how they interact. Is this the first time these boys have been near each other or do they have a history that could give clues about the future interactions? How far apart are their coops? Could each rooster maintain a territory with out going near the other? I have 2 free range coops. 3 roos in one 4 in the other. The two groups of roos stick to their own territories and rarely have any interaction with the other flock.

I have a rooster that had a damaged eye when he came to me. I kept him separated till I could make sure his eye was completely healed. He can’t see out of one eye but it’s no longer in the healing process. Plus I wanted to keep him separate till I made sure there was no disease going on. I finally let him out after being close to the other ones in his own separate cage for a while. When my other rooster came over and acted like he wanted to jump on him he instantly just rolled over on his back with feet in the air playing dead basically. But because I didn’t want him to somehow get his other eye damaged I picked him up and put him back in the cage. But what I’m wondering is how long will the dominant rooster bother him if he’s laying over in the dead position. I would like to give them the chance to get along. and for the dominant rooster realize he still king is a roost so that they can coexist. Is this possible and if so how long should I just let them do their own thing before I worry or before the other one quits. Like I said the little rooster with the damaged eye won’t fight back he just rolls over feet in the air and plays dead.
I have had some success introducing new roos. But doing so is a huge risk. We don't just plop a new roo in that's for sure. That's asking for disaster. Breed specification also plays a huge part in it. Some breeds are more docile, and are more likely to get along well with other roos. But it also depends on your individual rooster as well. Some roosters might accept a new man in the coop after a while, while some won't. Having a lot of space and places to go is a big help. Distracting with treats during early stages of integration *could* help but isn't fool proof. Sometimes loud it takes is one confrontation for things to settle, but the opposite is also true. If I were you, I would have him behind a fence for a while to watch how the two interact through the fence for at least a few weeks.

The answer depends on your dominant roo. A good dominant roo will back off when the opponent shows defeat. The introduction need to be in free range where there is plenty of space to show submission. They may need to interact several times to settle who is who. It sounds like your larger roo was watching to see what the others move would be. A retreat, not a roll over is a normal submission for a rooster. Now your birds are individuals. You are watching how they interact. Is this the first time these boys have been near each other or do they have a history that could give clues about the future interactions? How far apart are their coops? Could each rooster maintain a territory with out going near the other? I have 2 free range coops. 3 roos in one 4 in the other. The two groups of roos stick to their own territories and rarely have any interaction with the other flock

I guess I should exsplain a little better. The dominant Rooster didnt totally beat up on the other one! No blood, nothing major. After he knocked the other one over he jyst moved back a little gripping. I just reacted pretty quickly by scooping the 1 up so he wasn’t injured. I do let them free range but have decided just give the 1 eyed one his own coop and 2 ladies. The rest can free range and come and go to theirs as they please! Thanks for rge advice!

Roosters are a crap shoot, the more roosters you have the greater the chance of it not working out. You could try putting the boss rooster in the cage, letting the blind boy out and about.

But what you really need is a PLAN B, I don't see this working out. The best I have seen is when a dominant rooster has a chick rooster raised up under him...sometimes that works... until it doesn't.

The thing with roosters even if they are getting on well today, is really no guarantee that they will tomorrow. But the reverse is NOT true, if they are fighting today, more than likely they will keep fighting and it will keep getting more violent. Being raised together does not help, a lot of hens does not help. A huge space will help some.

But asking an established rooster to share his hens and play nice, is not going to work. That is a recipe for cock fighting.

What is your plan B?

Mrs K
This.

I have had some success introducing new roos. But doing so is a huge risk. We don't just plop a new roo in that's for sure. That's asking for disaster. Breed specification also plays a huge part in it. Some breeds are more docile, and are more likely to get along well with other roos. But it also depends on your individual rooster as well. Some roosters might accept a new man in the coop after a while, while some won't. Having a lot of space and places to go is a big help. Distracting with treats during early stages of integration *could* help but isn't fool proof. Sometimes loud it takes is one confrontation for things to settle, but the opposite is also true. If I were you, I would have him behind a fence for a while to watch how the two interact through the fence for at least a few weeks.
Yes. I kept him in a separate pen where they could see each other. No drastic dump him in. Which is probably why my dominant roo didnt draw blood even. I jyst didn’t want the orher hurt somce he had a disadvantage. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom