Rooster fighting problem? Burn? Head looks like a big scab (resolved)

acoustic-rooster

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 3, 2011
N E Ohio
Lethargic, eyelids mostly closed, I have no idea what is wrong and if it's a disease I don't want it to spread.
Just came back from trip, friends where taking care of chickens. Was this from a roo fight? I have 2 roos (soon to be 1
sad.png
) and 19 hens.

Last edited:
Judging by his eye on the second picture, it does kind of look like he got beat up by something. How long were you away, and do you keep your birds in a run at all? The reason I ask is, is there any chance that another animal could have gotten into where your birds are and mauled him? I have had raccoons kill some of my birds before and the heads are always crushed.

You might ask your friends if they had noticed anything while they were taking care of him. Maybe if any injuries showed up on him, at all?

Poor fellow. I'm so sorry you had to come home to this
sad.png

Edited to say: As an afterthought, I was going to suggest that he got burned somehow, but I don't know how that would happen. And his neck feathers seem undamaged.

Last edited:
I let them free range during the day, they get locked up tight at night. We've had raccoons and probably still do, hawks as well. None of my other chickens are hurt or missing, just this one. I'll ask the people who took care of them some questions soon.

edit: Was gone for a week

Last edited:
He does look burned, doesn't he?

Yeah, but it looks like it would be more of a chemical burn than something with fire. At least to me. But that's what has me puzzled. How could one rooster have gone and stuck his head into something that would burn him like that? And where would he have found such a thing?
hmm.png

That's damage from a rooster fight. Typically their heads look like strawberries and they sull up for a few days. They usually won't eat or drink, just stand there. If he's afraid of the other rooster, ya got your culprit. I raise lots of roosters, but I pen them alone or with a hen when someone starts trouble. Adult roosters can kill each other, especially if the loser can't get away. Starts happening when they are young and can happen anytime. That's all that is. No disease, no problems, just needs time to recoop...........Pop

The other rooster is about 7 months and doesn't have spurs yet, could he do that? and how long for this rooster to recover?

Last edited:
WOW...that looks awful and painful. If you think it's a burn of some kind (I've never seen a disease like this but I'm far from experienced), I'd start with aspirin to help him with pain! Baby aspirin.... do a search here for dosage, but I'd start with 1/2 of one right away or you can dissolve a regular one in his water! My husband was a chemical expert with the fire department and I asked him what he would do! He's asking - is the skin hard? cracked? soft? bleeding? He said regardless of whether it's chemical or some other kind of burn (and it definitely looks like some sort of burn), you need to flush and flush and flush with water. He said not to rub it or irritate it. Then coat it with neosporin. I'd also consider a strong antibiotic like penicillin - IM.

Now to the culprit... I hate to even think of something like this, but do you have any mischievous kids around? I don't think it's a fire caused burn as I can see bits of feather through out.

WOW...that looks awful and painful. If you think it's a burn of some kind (I've never seen a disease like this but I'm far from experienced), I'd start with aspirin to help him with pain! Baby aspirin.... do a search here for dosage, but I'd start with 1/2 of one right away or you can dissolve a regular one in his water! My husband was a chemical expert with the fire department and I asked him what he would do! He's asking - is the skin hard? cracked? soft? bleeding? He said regardless of whether it's chemical or some other kind of burn (and it definitely looks like some sort of burn), you need to flush and flush and flush with water. He said not to rub it or irritate it. Then coat it with neosporin. I'd also consider a strong antibiotic like penicillin - IM.

Now to the culprit... I hate to even think of something like this, but do you have any mischievous kids around? I don't think it's a fire caused burn as I can see bits of feather through out.

That was my very first thought. Sadly.
He brought tears to my eyes.

Back
Top Bottom