Rooster getting picked on

Cierrascoop

Songster
Sep 24, 2022
So, I recently brought a new rooster into my flock. He is a silkie, as is my other rooster. Both roos get along well. However, my newest is having an awful time being bullied, specifically by my two silkie hens. He's super submissive and hasn't even tried anything with the ladies aside from trying to give them treats that he finds. Is there any way to better help them integrate? I'm finding myself having to feed him separately because they don't even allow him to eat.

My two silkie girls are definitely more at the end of the pecking order. So, I'm just insanely surprised by their reactions to him. My older rooster and him had a one and done stare down/flare up. And he submitted and it was over.

😬😬 would he be okay in a crate for that long of a period? Mine free range. I don't really have an area fenced off to put him separately. Just a few xl dog crates Incase I need to transport or if one isn't feeling well etc.
That likely wasn't long enough. Usually people recommend 2 weeks or so

I got a rooster also. EE, he is 8 months old. I have had him now 1 week + and have only seen one fertile egg. He is braver now, and I see him eat with the hens. He has not crowed yet. He is polite and shy, I have to take him off the roost, he is calm about it, and I set him on the floor of the coop and remind him to do his job. Not too many eggs get fertilized on a roost.

I got a rooster also. EE, he is 8 months old. I have had him now 1 week + and have only seen one fertile egg. He is braver now, and I see him eat with the hens. He has not crowed yet. He is polite and shy, I have to take him off the roost, he is calm about it, and I set him on the floor of the coop and remind him to do his job. Not too many eggs get fertilized on a roost.
My last rooster that I had never fertilized an egg in his life lol. I had him for a pet for a long time and he was my baby. He would follow me around and hang out with my husband as he chopped wood or worked on things. But was not good at making chicks lol. I wish he had. I would have loved to have some of his offspring.

And he also never crowed lol. All but once. And it was a bit wonky. 😂

Back
Top Bottom