Rooster gone mean - singling out hen

You have kids. The solution awaits.

Attachments

• 20210829_151926.jpg
    20210829_151926.jpg
    747.5 KB · Views: 9
we went out of town for two months.
Who took care of them while you were gone?
Any reports on behaviors during that time?

Chickens don't remember their buddies after a rather short time,
you keepers will have to re-acclimate your relationship.
Might take time and work out, or not.

Who took care of them while you were gone?
Any reports on behaviors during that time?

Chickens don't remember their buddies after a rather short time,
you keepers will have to re-acclimate your relationship.
Might take time and work out, or not.
We had a house sitter who had previously had chickens take care of them but don’t think he ever had a rooster. I think the rooster started showing a few signs of aggression toward him, pecking at his boots, etc.

Hi! Our rooster has suddenly gone mean. Our chickens were hand raising from hatchlings by our kids including the rooster. Everyone would comment how kind he was. They are now 2 years old and in January we went out of town for two months. We came back and the rooster started flying at my kids, first my daughter then my son who has been his buddy. He’s never done anything like that before. My son would hold him and talk to him to let him know who’s boss, has always been gentle with him. We would maybe it was just spring time jitters or maybe bc we’d been gone so long? He’s now singled out one hen. She’s the smallest and at the bottom of the pecking order. Everyone picks on her but he chases her and I’m afraid is going to really hurt her. She already wears a chicken saddle and has half her feathers in her wing pecked out. For reference our coop is suppose to hold 8-10 chickens and we have 8 birds total, their dry run is about 12x10 and they go out in moveable runs on the grass most days during the week that are 30x6 in size.
Never have less than 25 to 1 ratio of hens to a rooster. Remove the hen or remove the rooster, one has to go or death will occur. Best the rooster since you don't have the minimum ratio. Hens only have one ovary , if damaged by rooster she won't lay eggs anyway. If feathers are gone, rooster has been sexing her too often and may have already done the damage and will result in death sooner than later.

Back
Top Bottom