Rooster got in water trough! In shock?

mychookschick

Songster
10 Years
Aug 28, 2009
Maine
Here is the info requested by BYC... My answers are in red.

1) What type of bird , age and weight: Buff Orpington Rooster. I believe he is about 4 years old, and probably around 8 lbs

2) What is the behavior, exactly. He is soaking wet, shaking. He has attempted to stand a couple of times, but tipped over or backwards all of the times. He has also shaken his head twice. Sounds like he may have inhaled some water.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? I found him in the trough less than an hour ago.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No, no other birds fell in.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. He appears to be in some sort of shock. He has no reaction to me touching him, waving my hand by his head, etc, etc.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Apparently, he fell into the trough, which is rather large and he couldn't get out because I had filled it today, and his feet couldn't touch the bottom. I have no idea how long he was there... But it was a couple hours or less because I checked on the horses a little while before that.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. He has full time access to clean water, and they get layer pellets (with the hens) morning and night. They also free range so any bugs/grass, etc that they find is fair game.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. No clue. He hasn't pooped since it happened, but before the incident it was normal.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? All I have done so far is to put him in a cage on hay, to absorb the water.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I do not intend to take him to the vet. I will do everything myself. I love the guy and all, but he is livestock, and will be treated as such (for example, he will not be brought into the house).

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. I took a video, but it is very poor quality as I took it with my cell phone.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. Right now he is in a wire dog cage with hay to sop up the water that is dripping out of him. Before the incident, he is kept in an 8x12 shed with the other chickens. They had wood shavings, and were let out to free range every morning. The only time that they are locked up is at night.

If you need anymore info please say so... I just need to know if there is anything else that I can do for him. I am willing to do all that I can. Thanks so much, everyone!!

Here is the info requested by BYC... My answers are in red.

1) What type of bird , age and weight: Buff Orpington Rooster. I believe he is about 4 years old, and probably around 8 lbs

2) What is the behavior, exactly. He is soaking wet, shaking. He has attempted to stand a couple of times, but tipped over or backwards all of the times. He has also shaken his head twice. Sounds like he may have inhaled some water.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? I found him in the trough less than an hour ago.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No, no other birds fell in.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. He appears to be in some sort of shock. He has no reaction to me touching him, waving my hand by his head, etc, etc.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Apparently, he fell into the trough, which is rather large and he couldn't get out because I had filled it today, and his feet couldn't touch the bottom. I have no idea how long he was there... But it was a couple hours or less because I checked on the horses a little while before that.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. He has full time access to clean water, and they get layer pellets (with the hens) morning and night. They also free range so any bugs/grass, etc that they find is fair game.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. No clue. He hasn't pooped since it happened, but before the incident it was normal.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? All I have done so far is to put him in a cage on hay, to absorb the water.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I do not intend to take him to the vet. I will do everything myself. I love the guy and all, but he is livestock, and will be treated as such (for example, he will not be brought into the house).

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. I took a video, but it is very poor quality as I took it with my cell phone.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. Right now he is in a wire dog cage with hay to sop up the water that is dripping out of him. Before the incident, he is kept in an 8x12 shed with the other chickens. They had wood shavings, and were let out to free range every morning. The only time that they are locked up is at night.

If you need anymore info please say so... I just need to know if there is anything else that I can do for him. I am willing to do all that I can. Thanks so much, everyone!!
I would dry him off with a blow dryer on LOW setting,it does calm them down and i have found they enjoy the heat. I'm reading your post,but cannot find any info as to his injuries if any. He probably is in shock,and possibly has ingested water into his lungs. You will have to watch for respiratory/pneumonia issues. I would bring him in house to keep an eye on him,give him electrolytes for shock. Is he eating or drinking? Important to get him dry.

Back
Top Bottom