1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster has crooked toes!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cmitchell, Apr 12, 2011.

1. cmitchell

cmitchell Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a rooster that I got from someone who had a very overcrowded coop. I'm not sure of his age but I'm thinking he is about a year old. He has crooked toes. What caused this and can it be fixed?

[​IMG]

2. Emmalion

Emmalion Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    I will try to get you a pic of one of my Roos toes. On both feet his middle toe is bent all the way around to the back on the first joint. He gets around just fine and even finds treats for his girls. One thing is he can't run like the rest so he kinda does a run fly OMG fly run shuffle while catching up.

He roosts just like everyone else as well. Only thing is he needs extra attention to his nails because they can get long fast so they need trimming and filing to keep them dull.

at his age I don't think there is any chance of it being fixed.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    No it can not be fixed. As long he is eating, pooping and getting around, no worries there!

4. cmitchell

cmitchell Chillin' With My Peeps

He seems to be getting along fine (has a slight limp), eats well, poops normally, sometimes crows. Occasionally he will lift up that leg and stand on his good leg for a few minutes.

Do you think this is genetic? He has such unique coloring that I'd like to put him in his own pen with a couple lady friends to see what color chicks they make. But if the crooked toes are hereditary then that probebly wouldn't be a good idea.

Right now he is low man in the flock..I have a bigger, more aggresive buff brahma roo who I think is keeping him from mating with any of the hens. I could be wrong though! [​IMG]

5. Emmalion

Mar 2, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    I can tell you I just hatched out chicks from Red and none of them have toe problems. They had no problems what so ever after hatch to be honest.

6. Emmalion

Mar 2, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    [​IMG]

7. DTRM30

DTRM30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Quote:I have a BR hen that has the exact same toe (same toe, same bend)- she broke it. She got her toe caught and in her attempt to free herself, she broke it. She gets around just fine - never even bothered her. I don't think the joint ever healed correctly because depending on the angle of her foot on the ground - sometimes it goes straight - other times it's crooked. Very creepy to look at but it hasn't affected her in the least.

8. Country4ever

Country4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    I wonder if you need to keep a closer eye for bumblefoot on chickens with deformed toes? Seems like they might need to put alot more pressure on the bottom of their foot to get around, rather than having their weight spread out across their toes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by