Rooster has leg that is not working - what to do?

lynnwprice

Hatching
8 Years
Oct 10, 2011
Came home today to find my rooster not able to put weight on one of his legs - he was in the barn (normally the coop) and didn't move when I approached (not normal). He's full grown, is a very active rooster and he watches over his flock. I don't know what to check to see if he's got a break or ? I can't see any damage to it nor are there any injury looking places on him. Can I splint the leg? Or take him to the vet? He's currently in the coop with food and water. Thanks for any advice.

I would look for any swelling or bruising from the foot up to the hop. Also, look at his foot pad for any signs of bumblefoot (swelling, redness, and a dark spot.) A vet could Xray his leg for a break, but it may be costly. Sprains are common, and both sprains and broken bones can take several weeks of rest to heal. Does he hold the leg up?

This happened to one of my hens 4 years ago. We could't find any signs of bruising or breaking, so we just nursed her by feeding her plain Greek yogurt with crushed layer pellets mixed in, and helped her drink by holding a cup for her or using a dropper. we also made her go for short walks, massage the leg and moved it so it would get some exercise and not deteriorate. She is doing well to this day!

thanks for the reply! No, he's not holding the leg up and it doesn't look swollen or red....it looks like his other foot, which is fine. Nothing about him looks like he's hurt.

Thanks for your reply! I will definitely take your advise about the food and exercise...I'll leave him with the hens because I think he would make himself crazy without seeing his chicks!

Was he vaccinated for Mareks disease? How old is he? You can force him to rest his leg in a cage or pen inside the coop where he can still be with the girls?

no he's not been vaccinated - he is about 2 years old. Yes, he can stay in the pen with the girls - will have to reconfigure his location. Thanks!

I agree with eggessive when she asks if he was vaccinated against Mareks disease. paralysis of leg/legs could be a sign of a serious condition called Mareks disease. if you not familiar with it, give it a search. you don't need to introduce new birds to get it. The virus can even travel in the wind. You might want to look into it.

Back
Top Bottom