rooster has pulled out his own feathers??????

carol0710

Chirping
12 Years
May 9, 2008
Toano,Va
I seperated my rooster from the hens about 2 weeks ago. He is directly beside the hens so can can see them and still feel apart of the flock. When I went out this evening I noticed he has pulled out all his tail feathers? I found them inside in coop? Is this normal? Why would he do that?
Thanks for your help.
Carol

that is also what I was wondering. Will his feathers grow back. He had such pretty ones. I felt bad for him and let him back in.

They will grow back. Give him some extra protein to help him along - meat scraps, kitty kibble, a little wet cat food, cooked eggs, etc.

You are welcome.
smile.png

I have a rooster - no chickens - and found him one morning with almost all his beautiful tail feathers and many of the lovely saddle feathers gone. They were all over his pen.
I've had him since December when he established himself in my backyard, and there was never anything like this.
He roosts in a covered dog crate, and I hadn't closed the door since it's stopped being so cold.
Buc-Buc wasn't hurt, he doesn't seem traumatized, no blood or other evidence. Would he have done this to himself???
I know he's lonely and he crows all day, but still...
Does anyone have an idea what happened?

Yes, the dog crate was open, and the feathers were inside and spilling out. I don't understand how an attacker would have created such havoc and not have hurt the bird himself.

Now the neighbor told me he's been going next door and terrorizing their little dogs. So he's shut in the dog crate, unless I can be outdoors with him. He's very sweet and amusing, but I never wanted poultry - much less a bachelor rooster!

All feathers coming out at once is indicative of a varmint. Can critters get into the coop area?

X2 Chickens tend to release many feathers when under seige.

A chicken might pull out or release some feathers if he has mites/lice, or if another chicken is picking his feathers.

Back
Top Bottom