rooster has the poxs.. info on where it came from

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by augiedranch, Nov 1, 2008.

1. augiedranch

augiedranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    i know pox comes from mosquitoes, but where do the mosquitoes get it? this is awful! i have a healthy, closed flock of chickens.. why does this happen? are all 25 of my others going to die?!

2. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Ivan3 was kind enough to post this link for me…you can take a look.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-diseases-AvianPox.html

Unless it’s in the mouth and throat your roo will be fine. My flock came down with it at the beginning of summer and I didn’t even know what it was. They are all healthy, active, and full of live. I haven’t lost a single bird. It will eventually go away by itself but it will take time…a lot of time. I first noticed it on my red roo at the end of April and he still has a few black scabs left but it has spread to all of the other chickens and is slowly running its course through the flock.

Edited to add:
    If your flock is closed then your roo must have been bitten by an infected mosquito as mine was. I also have a closed flock on ground that has never had chickens or any other livestock on it before. We cleared the area ourselves to build the chicken house and run...but I live in the Big Thicket and there are tons of mosquitoes.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by