rooster hates chicken saddles

fleischdoc

Hatching
6 Years
May 26, 2013
west Missouri
My rooster is tearing up the back of 2 of my hens, so I got them some cute chicken saddles :) We just put them on the hens and the rooster went ballistic- chased them down and ripped the saddles off. Will he get used to them, or should I separate them for a bit? It was comical to watch except they really need the protection to grow their feathers back.
Lisa

I tried them once and the first day the rooster did the alarm call, and then everyone else started in. All of the chickens avoided the well-dreesed girls on the roost that night, but by the next day, everyone got used to them. I just made them out of polarfleece, and cut 2 slits for the wings. They were from a blaze orange old shirt, so they even were good for hunting season.

He is still attacking the hens with the saddles, and he made one bleed, so know he is in "time out" in a cage in the garage. Hoping he gets over it because they need some protection. Can I trim his spurs if he won't accept the saddle?

I think you can clip the spurs with dog nail clippers. Get something to control the blood. I have no links to provide at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom