Rooster hurt by Jack Russell

Martinmcl

In the Brooder
Dec 27, 2016
My lavender leghorn got attacked by a jack Russell pulled alot off feathers out never ripped the skin but left some bruising. He is eatting and drinking but he stands up for a wile then he slowly falls to the ground head going first then looks like he is sleeping then springs up but this keeps happening. I have him in a shed on his own and he can pitch on the edge off a wooden box about a foot high. Its the falling over I need info on will he live. This is day 3 now plz help

My lavender leghorn got attacked by a jack Russell pulled alot off feathers out never ripped the skin but left some bruising. He is eatting and drinking but he stands up for a wile then he slowly falls to the ground head going first then looks like he is sleeping then springs up but this keeps happening. I have him in a shed on his own and he can pitch on the edge off a wooden box about a foot high. Its the falling over I need info on will he live. This is day 3 now plz help
He is stressed definitely so may just need more time, how old is he, if young three to five months he will alreDy be a bit wobbly legged but the good points are that he is eating and drinking.

He is probably in shock. Just give him more time and plenty of rest. Some pictures might also help.

He is stressed definitely so may just need more time, how old is he, if young three to five months he will alreDy be a bit wobbly legged but the good points are that he is eating and drinking.
He is about a year old now
Iv gave him chick starter so nothing to big. But when he standing eatting it he will then fall head first into it for about 5 sec then sprung back up. I just can't get my head round it to y even when he drinks he dos it putting his mouth in and u can hear him breath then sprung up again

He is about a year old now
Iv gave him chick starter so nothing to big. But when he standing eatting it he will then fall head first into it for about 5 sec then sprung back up. I just can't get my head round it to y even when he drinks he dos it putting his mouth in and u can hear him breath then sprung up again
He sounds in a bad way, but a fighter! Only time will tell sadly by the sounds of it

I just keep thinking if he was to pass it would have happened by now but day 3 so fingers crossed

Internal injuries are hard to see. I had a hen torn up pretty bad by a neighbor's dog, in shock, barely could stand, and feather loss with shallow wounds. She was lying lifeless in the grass at first, and after a couple of days was again walking and hanging out with the flock. The main thing is to make sure that he is eating and drinking, and I would either add some poultry vitamins to his water, or give him 3 ml of Poultry Nutri-drench orally every day in his feed or by mouth. Good things to eat would be chopped egg, chicken feed with water added to make it like oatmeal, and even chopped tuna or liver. He will either get better or not, and it might take a couple of weeks to tell. If he seems lonely or is not eating, you might try putting him in a dog cage inside the coop or run with his flock. They don't like being alone. Wishing you good luck with him.

Internal injuries are hard to see. I had a hen torn up pretty bad by a neighbor's dog, in shock, barely could stand, and feather loss with shallow wounds. She was lying lifeless in the grass at first, and after a couple of days was again walking and hanging out with the flock. The main thing is to make sure that he is eating and drinking, and I would either add some poultry vitamins to his water, or give him 3 ml of Poultry Nutri-drench orally every day in his feed or by mouth. Good things to eat would be chopped egg, chicken feed with water added to make it like oatmeal, and even chopped tuna or liver. He will either get better or not, and it might take a couple of weeks to tell. If he seems lonely or is not eating, you might try putting him in a dog cage inside the coop or run with his flock. They don't like being alone. Wishing you good luck with him.
Thanks will try that his dropping are whole so think everything is running right just falling over sleeping like just had me

Back
Top Bottom