Rooster hurt by puppy- need help with care and other chickens interactions with it

annmarie33

Chirping
Jun 22, 2015
This is not a new thing for us- puppies killing chickens. We are trying to perfect both their situations so they don't mix. But then things like today happen where the puppy gets out and the chicken happens to have gotten out too. Usually the chicken is dead pretty fast bc they always go for the neck and within a few seconds they are done. But today the main rooster was the one attacked. I saw it all happen and was running for at least 2 minutes thinking he was dead. But surprisingly he wasn't- he just has some missing chest and neck feathers- I don't think there was blood. But I wasn't sure so I just put him in a cage inside the coop. I've read that others attack or peck at the injured. He is the main rooster though so do you think they still would? How long should I leave him in there? I have about 17 ranging from 9 months to 5 months. There are some roosters in the 5 months but they havent crowed. And he really is in charge of all the chickens and the main rooster. Just want to make sure I'm helping him. Thank you for your suggestions

This is not a new thing for us- puppies killing chickens. We are trying to perfect both their situations so they don't mix. But then things like today happen where the puppy gets out and the chicken happens to have gotten out too. Usually the chicken is dead pretty fast bc they always go for the neck and within a few seconds they are done. But today the main rooster was the one attacked. I saw it all happen and was running for at least 2 minutes thinking he was dead. But surprisingly he wasn't- he just has some missing chest and neck feathers- I don't think there was blood. But I wasn't sure so I just put him in a cage inside the coop. I've read that others attack or peck at the injured. He is the main rooster though so do you think they still would? How long should I leave him in there? I have about 17 ranging from 9 months to 5 months. There are some roosters in the 5 months but they havent crowed. And he really is in charge of all the chickens and the main rooster. Just want to make sure I'm helping him. Thank you for your suggestions
Have you inspected him closely to make sure that there is no torn flesh or open wounds? If you puppy normally kills, then he is most likely injured. Feathers can hide quite a bit. I would keep him separated in a warm, quiet area, he may be in shock. Provide him with water and some of his regular food, you may want to give him a hard boiled or scrambled egg. If you do see torn flesh or wounds, you need to flush it out preferably with saline or betadine, but water would be ok and then apply something like vetericyn or neosporin (without the caine).

Yes, if he is injured, the others could attack him, even though he is a rooster, the others will prey upon an injured bird. I would keep him separated until you are sure he is over any shock and you feel like he can continue in the flock as normal.

I know you are working on trying to resolve the puppy and chicken situation. Hopefully it can be fixed soon. If you need suggestions or input, I'm sure that the good folks here on BYC would be happy to assist you if you post for coop/run help.

Good luck and keep us updated.

He was ready to get out of that cage! He looked fine- still didn't see bleeding. Right when he got out he did his little rooster in charge dance and was back to his usual self. Thank you for helping!

Back
Top Bottom