rooster ignoring a hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tsagirl, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Tsagirl

Tsagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2007
    Eugene,OR
    So I am realizing a pattern when I crack open my frizzle eggs from my laying hens. 2 of my frizzles are getting their eggs fertilzed with the bullseye and everything.....yet my other 3rd frizzle hen who is laying never has a fertilized egg. Hmmmmmm.....is she just not sexy enough for him? [​IMG] [​IMG]

Let me know if any of you have this problem. I wish they were all fertilized! [​IMG]

2. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    I am by no means an expert on this, but I have read similar threads. In one particular thread someone was talking about their rooster having "favorites". Could this be the case? [​IMG]

3. fivebigreds

fivebigreds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2007
    middle Tennessee
    Some hens like to play hard to get and the roo just gives up.

4. MooseHillFarm

MooseHillFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Connecticut
    Quote:Oh yeah. The last week or so, I've noticed my Buff Orp roo roosting with his arm, er wing around the Leghorn. First time I saw them snuggling like that I couldn't believe it.

His original favorite lady, also a Buff Orp, is brooding, and not available, so he found someone new! My RIR hen won't let him come near her. He tries, she rebuffs, and then chases him around for good measure.

5. grinz

grinz Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2008
    Michigan
    ;)Is she breeding? If her neck feathers are missing and the eggs are still not fertile, she may just be sterile ?? Just a thought....good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by