Rooster in nest

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by brightonchicks, Feb 19, 2016.

1. brightonchicks

brightonchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2014
    Near Springfield,MO
    For about a week whenever we go to lock the chickens up at night our rooster Elmer a black australorp is in the nesting box instead of on the roost. Any idea why he is doing this? He is almost a year and a half old and has never done this before.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Is he apparently healthy? He may have found the warmest spot in the coop.

3. brightonchicks

Jul 29, 2014
    Near Springfield,MO
    Yes he appears very healthy.

4. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    If he is a big fellow getting on a high roost can be a pain but getting down can be really painful. How high are your roosts from the floor?

5. brightonchicks

Jul 29, 2014
    Near Springfield,MO
    There are 3 levels of roosts, none higher than 4 and a half feet. The nesting box he gets in is higher than where he normally roosts.

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I'd suggest making your nest boxes below the height of your lowest roost if thats possible.

CT

7. 21hens-incharge

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    I think CTKen nailed it on the head.

I do one thing differently in that I keep my roosts only 2 foot off the ground. The large breeds I have do NOT like them higher. I had them at 3 foot and found EVERYONE sleeping on the floor except the bantams.

My nest boxes are at floor level and at 14 inches high.

8. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I also keep my roosts about that height above the ground. I lowered them because my heavy breeds seem to injure their legs (slight limps) when getting down from higher roosts. Having said that, i lift the fatties down every morning to try and avoid limping hens.

CT

9. 21hens-incharge

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    They do have a way of letting us know what they need. When I put the lower roosts in there they had a great discussion about it while hopping up and down off it. The first night the lower roost was in there were no hens on the ground.

Luckily my fatties are not needing a boost down. I do have one and only one that now sleeps in the nest. Her leg was deformed at hatch so she cannot jump at all. She is the only one I let sleep in the nest. She is now almost 6 years old and still gets around well just cannot jump or run.

10. brightonchicks

Jul 29, 2014
    Near Springfield,MO
    Thank you to everyone helping me in this matter! He is a big guy, we will have to make some changes around here that's for sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by