Rooster injuring hen - not mating

bhouli43

Hatching
8 Years
May 2, 2011
I have a flock of 4 hens and 1 rooster - all about 10 months old. They've been happily living together with the roo mating with the hens and not being overly aggressive until yesterday when I saw my biggest hen being attacked by the roo. She was lying on the ground and he was aggressively pecking her neck while facing her (not mounting her). I thought she was dead for a minute but eventually she got up and started moving around after I chased him off. She's got a pretty nasty wound on her neck which I treated but I don't know why my roo would do this. Any opinions about whether I can intimidate this behavior out of him or is he destined for soup? He has always been stand-offish with people (doesn't like to be picked up) but hasn't ever been aggressive with me or even my young kids or the hens besides mating with them. None of them are missing feathers or look very roughed up by him. ideas?? Thanks so much in advance.

In my opinion, hens come first - they provide the eggs. I would watch him and if the aberrant behavior continues - off with his head.

maybe she had violated some kind of serious chicken rule & he was putting her in her place. if he's been "normal" w/ everyone so far it doesn't seem likely he would suddenly attack her. another possiblity occurred to me. maybe he senses an illness or problem in her & he's trying to protect the flock. hopefully this is a one time event.

I used to have a rooster that did this. He would mate the hen, do his little wing dance after and she didn't get up and shake. So he would peck her, and peck her and peck her. If she moved away when he was done she wouldn't get pecked. Anyway, I don't waste my time with roos that show ANY type of bad behavior- whether its aggression towards us humans or his hens. That rooster made a delicious pot of chicken and dumplings. If he were mine, well- I haven't had chicken and dumplings in a while.....good luck.

Back
Top Bottom