Rooster integration

Cluckeryduckery

Chirping
Sep 20, 2021
I have 6 15 week old lavender orpington pullets…. Recently I impulsively rescued an approx. 1 year old lavender Orpington rooster who happened to be right up the road from me, feeling kind of kismet, but …. Is it safe to integrate him in with the girls with the age difference?

First, if you can, it would be good to quarantine him for a month to make sure he is healthy and doesn't have lice or mites that he can transfer to your girls. Second, I would then give it another month to let your girls mature before putting them together. They are a bit young to have a mature rooster put in with them. They might find his attentions a bit overwhelming at this age.

First, if you can, it would be good to quarantine him for a month to make sure he is healthy and doesn't have lice or mites that he can transfer to your girls. Second, I would then give it another month to let your girls mature before putting them together. They are a bit young to have a mature rooster put in with them. They might find his attentions a bit overwhelming at this age.
Thanks! Would a younger rooster (~5months) have been a better choice?

Thanks! Would a younger rooster (~5months) have been a better choice?
Probably not. A younger roo is soon going to go through wild hormonal imbalances and may be a total jerk for a while. He may or may not outgrow this phase. An older rooster that's been in a flock with older hens and/or an older rooster, can be your best bet.* With any luck the older birds will have taught him some manners.

Edit, changed bed to bet. Sorry, forgot to proofred.

Probably not. A younger roo is soon going to go through wild hormonal imbalances and may be a total jerk for a while. He may or may not outgrow this phase. An older rooster that's been in a flock with older hens and/or an older rooster, can be your best bet.* With any luck the older birds will have taught him some manners.

Edit, changed bed to bet. Sorry, forgot to proofred.
Thanks for your help, I’m really trying to give this guy a chance to be a good fit! I was told he had some “aggression issues” but that was in reference to being with other roosters & intereactions with young children, I feel like the poor guy hasn’t had a fair chance yet!

Thanks for your help, I’m really trying to give this guy a chance to be a good fit! I was told he had some “aggression issues” but that was in reference to being with other roosters & intereactions with young children, I feel like the poor guy hasn’t had a fair chance yet!
I appreciate your desire to give him a chance, however, you may want to reconsider this choice. If he was truly aggressive to small children and other roosters, why do you want to breed that forward? Genetics play a large part in temperament of chickens, especially roosters.

Personally, I always choose my breeders first temperament, then health, then specific qualities I'm looking for (like egg genetics or plummage).

I'd pass on the guy if he already has a history of aggression. Soft hearts don't breed good flocks.

LofMc

I appreciate your desire to give him a chance, however, you may want to reconsider this choice. If he was truly aggressive to small children and other roosters, why do you want to breed that forward? Genetics play a large part in temperament of chickens, especially roosters.

Personally, I always choose my breeders first temperament, then health, then specific qualities I'm looking for (like egg genetics or plummage).

I'd pass on the guy if he already has a history of aggression. Soft hearts don't breed good flocks.

LofMc
I’m torn now, but I do want a good flock! However he’d be the only rooster & just have his 6 girls… maybe given that he’d be a great boy? & maybe I’m crazy! I’m new to this lol I feel like I can’t get rid of him without seeing for myself I guess

He already has a history of aggression toward small children? Oh dear! Put him to good use and change his name to Stu! A rooster can do serious damage to an adult, never mind a child, as that wicked beak is at eye level! And even if there is little physical harm done, the trauma of a rooster attack can leave emotional scars for life. My advice is, don't risk it. No rooster is worth it, it's like "giving a chance" to a vicious dog that's already attacked a child.

Back
Top Bottom