Rooster is a bit heavy handed with his girls

Cranky Steve

In the Brooder
Dec 31, 2017
My plymouth rock rooster Reggie who has just turned 1 is a sexed up demon. His girls have lost their feathers from around their necks from when he jumps on (feather loss is not mites or lice btw, I've had them checked. This aggressive behaviour be seems to be putting the egg layers off as well. 7 layers sometimes only 1 or 2 eggs. Is there any way of changing Reggie's behaviour, will he settle down over time, or is it into the pot for him? All help and suggestions appreciated!

How old are the hens? What are the dimensions of your coop and run? Does he treat the hens well aside from the constant mating?

The lower egg production could be from the short days, if you are in the northern hemisphere. However tossing his butt in a timeout may be worth a try. The hens can get a break from his antics and you can see if egg production increases.

How old are the hens? What are the dimensions of your coop and run? Does he treat the hens well aside from the constant mating?

The lower egg production could be from the short days, if you are in the northern hemisphere. However tossing his butt in a timeout may be worth a try. The hens can get a break from his antics and you can see if egg production increases.
Thanks - that's what I was thinking. I have a separate smaller cage that I can put him in. I'm in the middle of summer now so I don't think it's the daylight.

I'm in the middle of summer now
Add your location to your profile ;) it's easy, then it's always there!
upload_2018-1-1_8-13-25.png

Back
Top Bottom