Rooster is Bullying Hens

StillSwirling

Chirping
Jul 6, 2019
I have 10 hens now and one rooster. Recently I've noticed him picking on a few of the girls. He'll come up behind them and peck at their tail end and then walk away. We like having a rooster because we try and let them roam the yard as much as possible (and hopefully hatch our own eggs one day), but if he's going to be like this he'll either have to be re-homed or become dinner. Any suggestions? Anyone else ever have this problem?

I have 10 hens now and one rooster. Recently I've noticed him picking on a few of the girls. He'll come up behind them and peck at their tail end and then walk away. We like having a rooster because we try and let them roam the yard as much as possible (and hopefully hatch our own eggs one day), but if he's going to be like this he'll either have to be re-homed or become dinner. Any suggestions? Anyone else ever have this problem?
How old is the rooster?
How old are the hens?
Does he do this when out they are free ranging or in the run?

What are you feeding? That sounds like feather picking behaviors.
What are you feeding? That sounds like feather picking behaviors.

I'm feeding a layer crumble, 17% protein. I also supplement with veggie and fruit scraps as well as a mix of oats and flax seeds with their usual feed once a week. Is he not getting what he needs? I let them out in the yard once a day to forage for grass and bugs.

How old is the rooster?
How old are the hens?
Does he do this when out they are free ranging or in the run?
I meant to say I only have 9 hens, one passed last weekend 🙁 He and 5 of the hens are 1 year, the other 4 hens are 2 years. He does this both in the run and out free ranging. Maybe they are bored? I started a job off the farm last fall so they don't get out as much as they did. My hubby is home but the girls only listen to me apparently 😅

Or crowded?
How big is the run?
Dimension and pics would help here.

I'd cut out the daily veg/fruit, it's diluting the layer feed rather than 'supplementing'.

Our run is 40 x 40 approximately. They have plenty of space. They don't get fruit/veg every day. Only once in awhile. If the weather is too yucky or windy to let them out I'll buy a bag of spinach or other dark leafy greens as I feel the grass they eat is just as important as their feed.

You may need to remove him, either temporarily or permanently. Especially if it continues. Exposed skin at the vent area can lead to beginning of cannibalism. Perhaps removing him for a while will break the habit.

Roosters also shouldn't eat a layer ration if you want them to hang around long term. All that extra calcium can be hard on them.

You may need to remove him, either temporarily or permanently. Especially if it continues. Exposed skin at the vent area can lead to beginning of cannibalism. Perhaps removing him for a while will break the habit.

Roosters also shouldn't eat a layer ration if you want them to hang around long term. All that extra calcium can be hard on them.
How would I feed them separately? Do I have a non-layer feed in one container and the hens 8n another?

Back
Top Bottom