rooster jumps on my shoulder

pinecone33

Chirping
Aug 1, 2022
Västra Götaland Sverige
our rooster keeps jumping on my shoulder and sits or stands there what does this mean? At first, he didn’t do it but one of the chickens did it (she does it because I took care of her when she was a chick and had broken her leg so she spent time away from the flock so I get that, but the rooster was never separated he only started doing it after she did it). They are both around 10 weeks old if that helps, the rooster is not aggressive or anything he is scared of me when I try to pet him but when he sees the other chicken on my shoulder he comes to me and jumps as well or he will just be around me and sit or eat without doing anything.

Welcome!
No bird jumps on me, or gets on me while I'm seated, except when specifically invited. Ever! These are chicks, and so cute now, but it won't be later.
Especially a cockerel!!! Just NO, not ever, not anywhere near your face or eyeballs.
He's being pushy, and this boldness may not go well when his hormones hit, and he thinks you are fair game.
Firmly push him off, not to cause injuries, but so he's uncomfortable. Walk 'through' him out there, never around, and don't hand feed.
You are the giant who brings food, not a flock member to be dominated or pushed around. Whoever's on top wins...
Mary

I agree with the above, you are taking the submissive position. He is taking the dominant position. It is very common aggressive sign when you have a rooster that wants to be taller than you. Not good.

Do push him off. No need to make a big deal out of it, but I would keep my eye on him.

So many times people mis-interpret the signals roosters are sending out. People tend to see this as an act of friendliness, much like when a pup comes up to be petted. But it is not. He doesn't want you petting him, he wants to be above you.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom