Rooster killing other roosters?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Frannabelle, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Frannabelle

Frannabelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    MI
    Will roosters kill other roosters? I have 2 banty roos, 10 mos old and 3 mos old. The older boy 2 days ago decided he wanted my little guy out of the flock. The first attack he jumped on the 3 mo old and covered him completely and was seriously at his neck with his beak. I thought that should be the end of the fighting thinking now my younger guy will stear clear. Well yesterday, same thing. Luckily I had a home for him to go to last night. But I am wondering, will a rooster actually kill another rooster? I know he would have made a bloody mess of him, but will they kill? He actually chased the younger down and would not stop the chase until he caught him.

2. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    Yes - they will kill each other - just what happens in cock fights. Not very pretty.

If there is enough space & enough hens they will settle it out - but if they are in close quarters or there are less than 8 to 10 hens for each rooster - they could go at it to the end.

3. Frannabelle

Frannabelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    MI
    They have plenty of room, about 1 acre free ranging, so there was enough space for them to keep out of each other's way. The older one was seeking him out for the attack. I'm just glad he had a great home to go to, no other roos there, just some big hens for him to look up to.

4. Telamon

Telamon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    I have no idea.
    the roosters fight with each other to for 5 reasons

1. getting ladies

2. showing off

3. to practice for real fights

4. stealing ladies

5. for fun [ you better believe it ]

if there are 2 roosters and 100 hens to choose from, they will still fight for a ladie... it's sad...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by