Rooster Loosing Tail Feathers. Mites?

DavidKerk

Songster
9 Years
Feb 9, 2013
My 15 or so month old Silver Laced Wyandotte rooster is loosing its tail feathers and a few feathers on its chest. I looked him over good in both of the spots. His tail had tiny black specs, but they weren't moving and they didn't appear to have legs. There weren't a ton of these specs, but there were a few. When I looked on his chest, there weren't any of these specs. Any ideas as to why he's loosing his feathers? Thanks!

Sounds like he is starting his first big molt, but those black spots may be mites. I have heard many people say they use Poultry Dust which I think is permethrin to kill mites. You do have to treat everyone, and clean out all the bedding and nest boxes, spray the coop down, and repeat the dusting in 10 days. Mites are a pain to get rid of permanently.

Some mites only come out and feed on the birds after they roost so the best time to check the birds is at night. I use a headlamp so I have both hands free. Good luck...

I read you can add Apple cider vinegar to their water how much do you add per gallon of water?
Some mites only come out and feed on the birds after they roost so the best time to check the birds is at night. I use a headlamp so I have both hands free. Good luck...
Thanks he is only around 6 months old & I have 5 RIR hens none of them are affected so probably he is just molting you think?

I read you can add Apple cider vinegar to their water how much do you add per gallon of water?

Thanks he is only around 6 months old & I have 5 RIR hens none of them are affected so probably he is just molting you think?
I would check at night. I had some birds that didn't look infested but when I checked them at night, they had them too. It could be he is molting but better be safe than sorry.

I would check at night. I had some birds that didn't look infested but when I checked them at night, they had them too. It could be he is molting but better be safe than sorry.
I think he's just molting... but I don't know about the the black specks.

My Buff Brahma Rooster is loosing his feathers how do l know if he is molting or if he has lice?

Can you please post some photos of him and his feathers?
Do you see pin feathers coming in?

I do agree, I would check really well for lice and mites.

What did you read about the ACS? Some people use it for various reasons. It won't necessarily hurt the birds, but I would also make sure fresh plain water is also available.

Back
Top Bottom