Rooster loss of balance and gasping. Need help!

Hey all, just for posterity, thought I'd give an update of what happened here.

Around the time of my last posts, we switched back to doing the following once a day for a few days:

1. Gently and carefully cleaned out his ears with hydrogen peroxide, using a q-tip and a toothpick that i cut off the sharp end and sanded down to be rounded. Didn't go in far at all, just helped to pick out the little bits we could see.
2. Put Neosporin (just the triple antibotic version, nothing else) in his ears

Because his balance was so off, he didn't seem to be drinking much on his own, so i carefully gave him water by hand several times a day (there are other threads about how to do this, go slow, you don't want them to aspirate it)

He didn't seem interested in dry food, so I gave him blueberries with nutri-drench or bits of cooked egg.

Each day his ear looked better and the passage looked clearer and more open. After his ears looked clear we stopped the hydrogen peroxide and only did the Neosporin.

He got a few doses of the smz-tmp as suggested above, but had trouble getting him to eat it, even with hiding it in other stuff.

After a few days he started improving in balance and eventually was able to start eating and drinking without falling over. Started crowing again.

He's back to normal, seems fully recovered.

All in all I think if I had to do this all over again, I would have just stuck with the hydrogen peroxide and neosporin. I think the detour we took earlier to ear drops caused this to take longer than it should have. Once we were back on it, I think his ears looked clear in 2 or 3 days, and he started showing balance improvement the next 2 days, and much better within the week.

Hard to say if the smz-tmp helped, but the timing of him doing much better was around when we gave him some, but it was also at the end of doing the ear cleaning, so not sure.

Any how, thanks everyone for your help, happy to have him health again.

Back
Top Bottom