Rooster lost his tail feathers

Layer feed has the bare minimum needed protein (16%), it's not enough for most hens.
It can also overload too much calcium into them, most chicken keepers do not feed layer, they feed 20% flock raiser or 18% all flock or chick grower. Grubs or larva are a poor way to add more protein since they are expensive and high in fat. They should not be fed every day.
Your hens will do better with more protein! Feathers, bodies, skin, organs and eggs all require protein to produce so they need more. Welcome to chickens! Don't worry, the learning curve is steeper than most people realise but it's not terrible.
Okay will do. I'm hoping the farm down the street will take back the layer pellets that I haven't started using yet. I actually don't have any more grubs on the way cuz they were out of stock. I always thought they were so good for the chickens I spent a lot of money on those damn things! That's a relief! I know the 17% is going to be more expensive but nowhere near as much as those grubs! It's only my second year owning chickens I've got another six bullets about 2 months old now. They're not integrated yet. My first year I learned a lot about sickness. The rooster is new. We've only had him for maybe 3 months. We needed him because our ladies were not behaving LOL

It is the build up of the calcium that might be harmful. Many still feed layer for the simplicity and price. I would feed up most of the layer you have and then mix a bit before switching to an all Flock. Oyster shells should always be on the side. Now back to your question. It is the beginning of molting season. Within the next few months most roosters over a year old will loose all their tail feathers, and grow new ones a few weeks later.
Oh! That's interesting because I think he is just a year old now. If we got him when he was 9 months old and we've had him for about 3 months that would be exactly a year so maybe that's what it is.

Back
Top Bottom