Rooster mad!!

chickymum

Hatching
Dec 13, 2015
Hiya! So my sister and I are new to hatching chickens. We've got silver laced wyndotte and blue Orpington eggs that have just hatched 2 days ago, (6 eggs in total) and it seems all, and I mean ALL are roosters : (
Which means we can't keep them !!! So disapointed as our children have been involved in the process and now we have to tell them that they can't stay. Is this normal to have only rooters !!??? Feeling very upset
Cheers

Hiya! So my sister and I are new to hatching chickens. We've got silver laced wyndotte and blue Orpington eggs that have just hatched 2 days ago, (6 eggs in total) and it seems all, and I mean ALL are roosters : (
Which means we can't keep them !!! So disapointed as our children have been involved in the process and now we have to tell them that they can't stay. Is this normal to have only rooters !!??? Feeling very upset
Cheers

Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined the flock. Please ask any other questions you may have. It's possible. It's one of those rare things to get solid roosters or pullets. It's even more rare to get 50, 50 but still possible. How old are they?

I believe the OP said they were 2 days old, @Birdrain92 . Not sure how you are positively sexing them at this age so I wouldn't be quite so hasty and dismiss them all as male yet. What clues are you going by?

And welcome to BYC....glad to have you with us!

I believe the OP said they were 2 days old, @Birdrain92 . Not sure how you are positively sexing them at this age so I wouldn't be quite so hasty and dismiss them all as male yet. What clues are you going by?

And welcome to BYC....glad to have you with us!

Oops I must have missed that detail.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. X2 on Free Feather's question; unless you knew how to vent sex them when they hatched, your Wyandotte and Orpington chicks are way too young to sex. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Why do you think they are all roosters? At two days they would all look the same regardless, no 2 day old combs, spurs, hackle or saddle feathers. Just little chickies.

welcome-byc.gif

I hope some (or all) of your chicks turn out to be female. In a few weeks, post some photos of them on this forum to get some positive id:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom