1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster maimed - do we really need him?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by newbiechicken, May 3, 2009.

1. newbiechicken

newbiechicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2008
    Nebraska
    Oh my gosh, our Jack Russell Terrier, Ruby, got out of the yard (she's never out in the fenced yard alone because she's a rescued dog and quite unpredictable, she just snuck out through the gate when I ran through to grab our new big puppy who hurled himself over the fence) and went after the chickens. Our roo, Bob, was trying to defend them and Ruby attacked him. I thought she killed him, he was lying pretty lifeless when I caught Ruby and got her away from him, but he got up and limped away and is now hiding behind a tree, looking pretty shook up.

Bob's not a friendly rooster, he's been known to karate kick us in the back of the legs if we're not careful. I had mixed feelings when I thought he was dead. I would have hated him to die that way, but I don't like the way I have to show him who's boss several times a week.

We have eight hens - brown and white leghorns - and they're good egg layers. I know a rooster isn't needed to continue to get eggs, but I do like the protection he gives the hens. Mine free range a few hours a day during the week and alll day on the weekends usually.

I'd really like to hear your opinions on keeping a rooster.

Just as a side note - the hens showed absolutely no interest in Bob lying lifeless on the ground. The barn cats gathered around him in a circle (reminded me of a funny joke about a cat scan), but the hens went right on pecking at the ground and walking around. It's almost like they looked at him, shrugged their shoulders, and went on with their lives.

Thoughts on roosters?

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    poor thing!

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I don't now nor will I ever free range without a roo. I believe he's that valuable to the protection of the flock.
    I'm sorry about your Bob. If he's flogging he may not be the best rooster for y'all, but there are plenty of wonderful roostes out there.

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I adore my roo but even if he wasn't stellar I would get him mended. In the case of your roo, he got maimed trying to protect the ladies, which was very galant. Unless you plan to end it for him right away, get him started on pain relief and injury repair right away, keeping him warm and comfy and stress free for healing.
    JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by