Rooster mating with pullet that isn’t supposed to lay soon?

Juliacone35

Chirping
Apr 14, 2021
Today I saw my rooster mate with my sapphire gem. She came over to him and squatted. Didn’t put up a fight. She is only 4 months old. Everything I read says sapphire gems only start laying between 5-7 months. If she is willingly mating does that mean she is going to lay soon? Or is it still possible that we could be waiting another month or more?

Today I saw my rooster mate with my sapphire gem. She came over to him and squatted. Didn’t put up a fight. She is only 4 months old. Everything I read says sapphire gems only start laying between 5-7 months. If she is willingly mating does that mean she is going to lay soon? Or is it still possible that we could be waiting another month or more?
Squatting, mating, means they are close to sexual maturity.
It can happen a couple weeks before they actually lay.

My phonix pullet (5 months) a couple weeks ago let my roo breed her and like a week later she layed an egg. Does mating mean they are going to lay soon or does it actually speed up the process?
No.

Mine started laying this week (I'm pretty sure both of them did as I have 4 eggs in 3 days), and they just turned 4 months old.

20210801_110852.jpg
these were the 4 eggs. I presume once the hens mature and the egg making apparatus settles down, the eggs will be more appropriately sized and single yolks. Or my pullets are overachievers...not sure which 😊

I wish my chickens laid eggs like that
So far my little ancona has laid perfect little pullet eggs 🥚 with one yolk, 5 of the last 7 days. But these Sapphire Gems ... I got 1 big brown egg then skipped a day and there were 3 big brown eggs. I can only hope both of my Sapphires are laying or the one is going to spontaneously burst into flames. All 3 of the pullets just turned 4 months old. After looking through a lot of these posts, it would seem these 💎s have a definite tendency to do this...

Back
Top Bottom