rooster... maturing?

libbo

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 15, 2009
We have 11 older hens and 1 young rooster, the rooster recently crowed for the first time and is starting to get... rough. he is not as nervous as usual and just stands there all day puffing his feathers, making sounds, extending his neck to make him look big. he is a nice rooster, being brought up inside. (thats part of the reason why he is nervous, part of him thinks he's human) He's still got fluff on his but...
big_smile.png
anyways recently he has been chasing the girls around, jumping on them and looking tough
cool.png
is that normal?

Yup, normal. Just remember that he knows his place and doesn't try to dominate you. Remember, you're his superior. (sp) In my short time of raising my chooks, that has always been the next step. Cute, innocent, crowing, chasing the girls, then getting mean. Keep an eye out.
wink.png

Normal. If he's younger than the hens he has to prove himself to them. Until he does, the hens will fight him off.
Once they accept him as the boss they'll stop fighting it and mating can occur sometimes without you even knowing it's happening.
My roo does a good job of keeping the girls in line. When I walk out there he backs off, way off. He knows that the only one with more authority than him in that chicken yard is me.

Back
Top Bottom