Rooster mounting hens in front of us.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KelBelle, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2010
    Montgomery County, TX
    I do not allow my rooster to mount hens in front of me.

Behind me is OK in my book because he is getting it on the sly. Likewise, when he is 8+ feet away, it is OK by me because (I infer) he is hoping not to get caught in time. Right in front of me is not allowed because that is an implicit challenge.
  2. Barry Natchitoches

Barry Natchitoches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    My rooster respects me, and I respect him.

Same with his father, who graced our chicken yard until a week and a half ago.

We have an implicit agreement: I don't mate his hens, and he doesn't mate my wife.

As long as he honors that agreement, my feathers will not be ruffled if he mates one of his gals in front of me.
    1 person likes this.
  3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I honestly debated this issue a few times because folks kept bringing it up. Now, unless a rooster is truly hurting a hen, like cramming her head into a corner or something that could break her neck, I don't interrupt him. I've actually pulled Isaac off a hen who was in a very awkward position. He's never challenged me or been aggressive so I let him do what he does without interference except to prevent injury.
  4. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

Quote:[​IMG] I agree with this [​IMG]
  5. ScotianChick

ScotianChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    I was wondering this a little too. My RIR Bill is 9 months old and the only sign of aggression he has ever shown was shuffling at me when I held one of his girls. They don't like being held, she made some disgruntled noises, he shuffled at me a bit and gave me the stink eye. I yelled at him and he backed down. So besides that I've never had an issue. If I did have an issue with him, I'd eat him.
    1 person likes this.
  6. Louieandthecrew

Quote:If he attacks, just kick him away. Yep, that'll teach him! He may have been afraid that the hen might have been hurt which is why I wouldn't have made a very big deal, but if he attacks you better show him who's boss.
  7. queenbeezz

queenbeezz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    What are they supposed to do? Get a room at the Holiday Inn?
  8. Louieandthecrew

9. JLS

JLS Love my feathered babies!

May 29, 2009
    My Coop
    Quote:I think she needs some "back-up". It's a great excuse to get some more chicks [​IMG]

Got some on the way! Haha, I'm making her a home-made "apron/saddle" today out of old rags and such [​IMG]

Yippy!! Love getting chicks!! Congrats [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  10. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I know its their instinct to fertilize the eggs but its also a great time to let the roo know that I'm in charge. I'll kick him off if he's close enough. You gotta let him know who's in control.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by