Rooster noise breed question

Adolfus Nile

Chirping
Jan 12, 2023
We have a hen that is very tame and friendly. She even does tricks. Makes us want to breed her. I am concerned about getting a rooster because of neighbors, but From my research how frequently a rooster crows and how loud it is depends on the individual. So should I just get a rooster and see if its behavior is agreeable and if its not, eat it? I've also heard of these collars you can put on them to stop them from crowing but im not sure about that.

so, from what i've heard, the collars are really bad for the rooster. Definitely get a breed known for being more docile and also check the rules/laws for you where you live because I've had to butcher my rooster when living in VA because of some regulations. The volume of the crow is based off the individual but im pretty sure there are some breeds that are known to be more quiet. Idk if you care about the breed but if it will be potentially eaten, a meatier breed would also be better as i have had to butcher a mean rooster only to find that he was skin and bones and had to throw it away not to mention the time it took to process it. i would just get one and see what happens. Hope this helps

From my research how frequently a rooster crows and how loud it is depends on the individual. So should I just get a rooster and see if its behavior is agreeable and if its not, eat it?

That could work.

Years ago I read that small roosters tend to have higher-pitched crows, and larger roosters tend to have lower pitched crows that are louder. My limited experience matches that. Some people are more bothered by one, some by the other.

After a rooster mates with a hen, it takes a day or two before she is laying fertile eggs (because of the time it takes for an egg to form.) But after that, she will typically lay fertile eggs for at least a week, and sometimes for 3 or more weeks.

So you may not need to keep a rooster for very long, if you get him as an adult. A few weeks might be all it takes to have eggs developing nicely in an incubator. And once the eggs are developing well, his job is done ;)

When a rooster meets a new-to-him hen, he might mate with her at once, or it might take days or weeks before he does (the hen might refuse, or might even chase him around.) It depends on the rooster and the hen. A fully mature rooster is more likely to be mating soon, while a half-grown cockerel is more likely to get chased around for a while.

A lot depends on your set up. Do you only have one hen? How old is she? How much space do you have? What breed do you have?

But there is nothing wrong in getting a rooster, and if he works out, culling the bird.

No rooster is quiet, but Brahma, Cochin & Orpington are “generally” quieter than the average LF breed. We have 4 roosters, and our Orpington was the last to start crowing at 8 months, and had the weakest (and least frequent) crow of all the boys. It is always hit or miss though, with exceptions to every generalization. All 3 of those breeds would get quite hefty in meat size, so if you do need to process, at least there would be meat to eat. All 3 are on the gentler side as well, although again, agression in roosters can happen in any breed.

A reminder for the OP or anyone else wanting to hatch eggs: approximately half the chicks will be male. So have a plan for dealing with them.

If one rooster might be a problem, multiple roosters might be a bigger problem.

No rooster is quiet, but Brahma, Cochin & Orpington are “generally” quieter than the average LF breed. We have 4 roosters, and our Orpington was the last to start crowing at 8 months, and had the weakest (and least frequent) crow of all the boys. It is always hit or miss though, with exceptions to every generalization. All 3 of those breeds would get quite hefty in meat size, so if you do need to process, at least there would be meat to eat. All 3 are on the gentler side as well, although again, agression in roosters can happen in any breed.
How are barred rock roosters?

Back
Top Bottom