Rooster not fertilizing

Elliemae1984

Songster
Sep 9, 2022
Ontario, Canada
I have 3 silkies (1 male, 2 female) who are about 9-10 months old now.

Both girls have been laying consistently since about 6 months and I’ve seen the cockerel mount both on multiple occasions (we also trim butt feathers to help the cause). Eggs we were getting about 2 months ago were fertilized (confirmed by cracking them open). We honestly don’t eat that many eggs so I’ve been giving the majority away to neighbours - an apology for our boy’s morning alarm clock lol - so I haven’t checked fertility in a while.

One of the hens recently went broody so I put 5 eggs under her but when I candled at day 8 all were duds. I checked 2 eggs that I didn’t set and they too were unfertilized.

So I’m wondering…what would cause the change in fertility when he’s still attempting to mate them? Do roosters go through fertility phases? Have my ladies decided to reject him? I was so looking forward to having some of their babies.

Both girls have been laying consistently since about 6 months and I’ve seen the cockerel mount both on multiple occasions (we also trim butt feathers to help the cause). Eggs we were getting about 2 months ago were fertilized (confirmed by cracking them open). We honestly don’t eat that many eggs so I’ve been giving the majority away to neighbours - an apology for our boy’s morning alarm clock lol - so I haven’t checked fertility in a while.

One of the hens recently went broody so I put 5 eggs under her but when I candled at day 8 all were duds. I checked 2 eggs that I didn’t set and they too were unfertilized.

So I’m wondering…what would cause the change in fertility when he’s still attempting to mate them? Do roosters go through fertility phases? Have my ladies decided to reject him? I was so looking forward to having some of their babies.

Hello!

Have you changed their food recently by chance? What are you feeding them? It’s also possible that it’s a genetic issue. Inbreeding causes infertility, so if the hens and the rooster are closely related (perhaps siblings or half-siblings?) then that could be what’s causing this as well. Were the parents of your birds closely related either? Some of the issues could have been passed down in their genes too…

I have the same problem right now with my black Silkie roo

Hello!

Have you changed their food recently by chance? What are you feeding them? It’s also possible that it’s a genetic issue. Inbreeding causes infertility, so if the hens and the rooster are closely related (perhaps siblings or half-siblings?) then that could be what’s causing this as well. Were the parents of your birds closely related either? Some of the issues could have been passed down in their genes too…
Feed hasn’t changed at all. We did just get back from vacation and a neighbour was taking care of them for two weeks. Wonder if she was giving them less table scraps and snacks. I’ll give them another few weeks being on the “spoiled rotten snack diet” and check fertility again. Thanks!!

As for genetics…I have no idea. I got these little guys off of a lady who called herself a “breeder” but I was SO green to the world of non-hatchery quality chickens at the time so I didn’t ask any questions regarding parents etc.

I do have hatching eggs in the incubator now from an entirely different (and very responsible) breeder so at least I’ll be able to introduce some good, new genes eventually!

Im uns
Hello!

I'm unsure about the parents of my rooster but I believe your right. I will dig alittle deeper thank you so much

Back
Top Bottom